Author Topic: how to wash, maximising protection, minimising time and money  (Read 2636 times)

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
My policy has been to shower the old car with dilute shampoo, wait a bit, sponge then jet off with clean water.

I'm getting a new one next week but not paying for the garage to Gardx it.

Now people don't wash their cards any more, they do something else but the name escapes me.

What is the sensible mid path, pragmatic but best investment of time and money.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
Re: how to wash, maximising protection, minimising time and money
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2018, 15:16 »
Two buckets, grit guards, a good quality wash mitt, drying towel.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2018, 15:39 »
Cue Rebecca................
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2018, 15:45 »
This discussion thread from the Detailing section is worth a read. Focus on reply #4 if you’re primarily interested in the best way to wash your car that minimises damage to your car’s paintwork;

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=274098.msg2506633#msg2506633

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2018, 16:09 »
Detailing is the word that escapes you, lol.  There’s a section on here called Detailing, and a whole host of reading in there.

As above really.

Get some basic kit set up, don’t go mad, there’s lots of stuff out there and lots of it unnecessary, or stuff that can be added later.  The most important thing after basic kit, is a good wash and dry technique, and then perfecting it. Key to keeping swirls etc to a minimum, is pre wash, that’s the touchless stages of washing, such as snow foaming and/or citrus pre washing, and it can remove a lot of dirt without any contact with the paint, meaning much less to do at the bucket wash stage where there is contact with the car.  A good drying technique is important as many swirls are inflicted st this stage, and key to that is final rinsing with the open running water hose which leave less standing water to be dried off. After that it’s a case of protection with a decent wax or sealant and again, a careful application technique to maintain the swirl free paint.

So look at basic kit, wash and dry techniques, protection, etc. watch some videos to assist.

As well as the thread link in the previous post, have a look here, there’s guidance on kit etc and some links to technique guides at the end of the first thread.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=277318.0
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2018, 16:11 »
Yes keep it simple to start with, you'll soon get sucked. There are experts at pro level on here. Me I fall in-between and have established a doable routine, snow foam, rinse, 2 bucket shampoo and dry off. As Reb said the quality drying off cloths (use 2 or 3 ) and lambswool mitten the most important part. I tend to do the wheels at the end. 60 to 90 mins should cover it. This time of year is crap and pointless in being too precious.
Polish!!!!! now that's when you start to get into a minefield!
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2018, 17:17 »
My policy has been to shower the old car with dilute shampoo, wait a bit, sponge then jet off with clean water.
There is a massive difference between a quick and simple wash and car detailing.

It all depends in what you are trying to achieve. That swirl free 'wet look' takes some effort.

I'm risking the wrath of our forum detailing goddess :lipsrsealed: :smiley:

The minimum I would do - soak car using your preferred method, pressure wash car, hand wash car using a mitt (not a sponge) and check/clean mitt regularly with hose attachment (separate mitt for alloys). A quick way of drying the cars is with a silicone blade, but that is frowned upon. :embarrassed: Another simple way is a microfiber towel and something like Aqua Wax.

Perhaps you should ask - what is the minimum you do to wash your car and keep it shiny?

We have 2 cars which I wash every weekend and detail twice a year. So I am always looking for short cuts.

« Last Edit: 22 February 2018, 21:31 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2018, 09:16 »
Agreed, Aqua Wax is a great way to keep a car looking good quickly without much effort.

For me, getting the right base is key. Get the car looking good from the start, with the right sealant/wax and then the weekly or fortnightly wash becomes very easy.

Check out Carbon Collective - they have a great range of top up products like Hybrid and their Ceramic Detailer Spray which can be used with complete ease.

http://carboncollective.com/product-category/detailing-products/detailing-sprays-hybrid-sealants/

Jim
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2018, 00:08 »
I take mine to the snow foam touchless people once every 2 or 3 months.£6.50.Wash wax and wheels.
Yes i am a heretic.Burn the witch!. :embarrassed:
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.