Author Topic: Failed Turbo 14 plate GTI mk7  (Read 2247 times)

Offline ML_GTI

• Just got here
Failed Turbo 14 plate GTI mk7
« on: 15 February 2018, 14:55 »
So my Golf began to produce a very quite whining noise under medium acceleration around September October. Took it to my local dealership and went out for a short drive with one of the mechanics, he could make the noise out and told me not to worry unless it get any louder.
So the noise has got significantly worse followed by the engine diagnostic light coming on at the end of last week so booked it in to get it checked out. Turns out to be an issue with the turbo fan, so new turbo required.
Around 45k miles never pushed really hard seems like a very short lifespan for a turbo to me, anyone else had issues on here?
« Last Edit: 15 February 2018, 15:12 by ML_GTI »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Failed Turbo 14 plate GTI mk7
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2018, 15:04 »
yes failed turbos are quite common...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2018, 15:50 »
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline ML_GTI

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2018, 16:21 »

Thanks CHB100, interesting. The cars out of warranty so gonna be a big bill, looks like VW will fund the part, I have to cover the cost of the fitting. Sounds like they have changed the design so hopefully the replacement should last a little longer.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2018, 17:01 »

Thanks CHB100, interesting. The cars out of warranty so gonna be a big bill, looks like VW will fund the part, I have to cover the cost of the fitting. Sounds like they have changed the design so hopefully the replacement should last a little longer.
My good lady has a MAY 2014 GTI so will have the naff turbo for sure. Now she has a 5-year warranty so it's all :smiley: until then at least!
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline random_nickname

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2018, 11:01 »
Mine is a July 2014. Had an additional 1yr warranty which expires in July 2018 but has only done 22k and I do not drive it very hard either. Most likely if anything is defect it will happen outside of the warranty.

What are the chances mine has the new turbo and is there any way to check?
| GOLF MK7 GTI | PP | DSG | KEYLESS | DYNAUDIO | SUNROOF | 3DR | WHITE |

Offline ML_GTI

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2018, 12:07 »
The parts ref for the ones with the issue is above, have a look at the other discussion topic here  http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=269521.0 for more info / where the ref can be found on the turbo and how to managed to view the part ref https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ntwo5eKQYls&feature=youtu.be
That said it seems you won't get far on replacement until it fails.

Offline random_nickname

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2018, 16:45 »
The parts ref for the ones with the issue is above, have a look at the other discussion topic here  http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=269521.0 for more info / where the ref can be found on the turbo and how to managed to view the part ref https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ntwo5eKQYls&feature=youtu.be
That said it seems you won't get far on replacement until it fails.

Cheers ML_GTI Yeah I have just been looking through that thread. I will need to check first I guess before I start worrying too much about what if's.
| GOLF MK7 GTI | PP | DSG | KEYLESS | DYNAUDIO | SUNROOF | 3DR | WHITE |

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2018, 18:01 »
If it’s a known issue then I would be pushing the dealership for FULL payment.

I wouldn’t be paying anything when it’s clearly a manufacturing fault and nothing to do with how you drive / maintain the car

Offline ML_GTI

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2018, 18:07 »
I am trying, seems that VW don't recognise it's a know issue. No recall etc. Not heard back from the dealer, they weren't hopefully when I talked to them.