Author Topic: S3 to Clubsport?  (Read 5617 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
S3 to Clubsport?
« on: 26 November 2017, 19:23 »
Hi everyone,

Some of you on the forum will know that I had my Gti stolen back in 2015. I ended up being lucky enough to get an S3 sportback but now have a chance to get a Clubsport. Anyone made the change or a similar one?

All opinions gratefully received!

Thanks
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Davey-c

• GTI forum regular
Re: S3 to Clubsport?
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2017, 19:36 »
I changed from an S3 Sportback to a Clubsport early this year. Sometimes miss the all wheel drive, especially this time of year but that’s all really. The S3 was a lovely car inside but I found driving it very boring compared to the Clubsport and the suspension quiet bouncy. I absolutely love mine and definitely wouldn’t go back to the S3 if I had the choice. Have you been for a test drive in one yet?
2023 Golf R 20 Years, Lapiz Blue, 19 Inch Black Estoril Alloys, Rear Camera, Harmon Kardon Sound System.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2017, 19:43 »
Thanks for the reply.

I’ve had one test drive. The car felt special and certainly no bounce like the S3. A Gti is always great but the clubsport does feel different again. Ride was rather firm but those bucket seats are amazing. So hard to tell in a 10 minute drive!!!

There are a few popping up on Autotrader now with delivery mileage. All seem to be from Ireland which is odd.

Also I had an edition 35 before the last Gti which held its value so well. I’d be keeping my next car a while so this is another factor in my thoughts.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Davey-c

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2017, 20:04 »
I have the standard seats in mine and even they are a massive improvement on the seats in the S3. The car I test drive had the buckets and they were amazing. But with 2 kids they wouldn’t last 5 mins in my car. Mine is also DSG, first time for me and makes the car so easy to drive. I think the Clubsports will definitely hold their money in the years to come and will be highly sought after. What colour you after?
2023 Golf R 20 Years, Lapiz Blue, 19 Inch Black Estoril Alloys, Rear Camera, Harmon Kardon Sound System.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2017, 20:07 »
Test drove a silver one which is a bit different. I’d love white but I’ve had a few now! Know what you mean about the buckets. The gloss back worries me with my 3yr old!

Any thoughts on the car being from Ireland? No numbered plaque on Irish cars.

Offline Davey-c

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2017, 20:12 »
Haven’t a clue about the cars from Ireland, not sure how it would work with import etc. May work out expensive. I am sure someone on here who knows will be able to shed some light on it for you. You won’t be disappointed if you do decide to swap and silver really suits the Clubsport, nice contrast with the black bits.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2017, 20:15 »
Being a CS owner I guess I can't be too objective on this one but... before even finding out about the CS 1.5 years ago, the S3 sedan was the car that made me start looking seriously into my next car. I went to see the car in the flesh, got offers and test drove it but as nice as it looked (although maybe a tad too upmarket and serious) driving was the biggest disappointment. The AWD is nice for launching or when I absolutely want to put all 300bhp down in the rain (I don't normally want to anyway in those cases, at least not in 1st and 2nd gear) but the driving was such a disappointment... In a straight line it was great, but the understeer, the bodyroll (that was the S3 8V pre-FL) and the overall feeling from the car that it was being forced to follow, rather than actually welcome a fast pace ruled it out for me. It gave the impression of merely an ordinary car with good power and definitely not what I thought a Audi S model should drive like.

The Golf R I tried after was considerably a better driving experience although still a bit like it was driving itself without needing much input or adjustment from the driver other than the weight of his right foot. Sometimes that isn't so bad but it was not the right car for me at the time. I didn't expect the R to be that much better than the S3 to be honest. The CS won me because of its meaner and sportier character both in looks and feel. I think I'll struggle to find better seats in this price range than the Recaro buckets on the CS if/when I change to something else, they are exceptional both in comfort and grip. It's a slightly less comfortable car than the R (and the S3) though although nothing too extreme that wouldn't allow it to be a family driver. It rides way better and is more pliant than my previous car that ran Bilstein B8 dampers and H&R springs to match, the DCC prevents any shocks to your spine, but you will feel the potholes a bit more.

In regards of practicality, I got the little one's car seat facing backwards so i'm safe yet. I plan to put some protection once it's rotated forward as I have already got a couple of marks from careless rear passengers.
« Last Edit: 26 November 2017, 20:18 by scanesare »

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2017, 20:27 »
Thanks for the replies. It’s that exclusivity I like about the edition models. Only ever saw one other edition 35 while had mine and I should have kept that car!

Car was actually on a 67 plate with pan roof, buckets, dsg and a few other bits and bobs.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2017, 20:34 »
If you can get one in Oryx white with Prets, you'll own one of the coolest looking cars on the road :cool:
I did my best to talk my wife into buying that exact car when we saw it in a dealers in Bolton but she wouldn't bite :sad:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2017, 20:38 »
I went to visit the tornado red one they had in Bolton on the black prets. Very nice car I thought but too much for me. Those prets are amazing.