Author Topic: Gloss black Pretorias after washing  (Read 2234 times)

Offline eug2huge

• Not said much yet
Gloss black Pretorias after washing
« on: 13 November 2017, 12:07 »
Hi guys,

I've got my cleaning routine down to a pretty good system. Only point I'm a little fuzzy on is how to protect/shine my alloys after washing.

In the past I have just given them a quick buff with some quick wax. Although this makes them look good it's not the best for repelling the brake dust etc..

I just tried some spray on wheel protector which initially looked great then dried leaving white marks  :angry:.

I like the idea of using Poor Boys wheel sealant. Is this the best thing to use after washing?

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Gloss black Pretorias after washing
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2017, 12:30 »
Poorboys Wheel Sealant is very decent stuff and I used it for years (on gloss black wheels) but, it can be a real pain in the @rse on black wheels.  It's pink which in turn goes white on drying, so if you miss any whilst buffing off, which is much more easily done that you might think, it's very noticeable on black wheels and it's all too easy to get the residue in wheel bolt  covers which is a pig to get out and needs teasing out with toothpick or similar.  Also Poorboys has to be worked quickly as it dries quick so not a long hazing time, and if any part of the car is in the sun then you have to work very quick! Otherwise it's a lot of elbow grease to buff off and that's when you get the unwanted residue appearing. 

Much better to use a clear wheel sealant imo for black wheels.  You could of course, go the major route and coat your wheels with the likes of Gyeon Q2 RIM, Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour, or CarPro DLUX.  They all really need to be applied to wheels off the car, and need time to cure. 

If you are looking for something to be applied as wheel protection fairly regularly, say ever 6 weeks, then Gtechniq C2v3 works very well on wheels, as does Sonax BSD (Brilliant Shine Detailer) and other nano sealants.  I've haven't coated my wheels but instead use C2v3 every 4-6 weeks and find it excellent, easy to apply and buff off, quick too so easy to get a couple of coats on if desired, and the wheels are very easy to clean each wash with a quick pre-wash spray of ValetPro Bilerry Wheel Cleaner (diluted at ratio 1:8 or 1:10) or WoWo Wheel Cleaner(pre diluted) ato loosen dirt, then washed with shampoo and wheel woolies/wheel mitt. 

So my advice is to look at a clear sealant for your black Prets to avoid that annoying white residue that Poorboys leaves behind and for equally good protection and much easier application and buffing.
« Last Edit: 13 November 2017, 12:34 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2017, 12:49 »
I've used http://carboncollective.com/product/platinum-wheels/ on mine and probably needed 2 coats but results are really good. Weekly clean is pretty easy.

Here's a quick video I did which got posted onto their Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYVNqrmAc8k/?taken-by=carboncollective

I must admit I think black alloys are a detailing nightmare!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2017, 10:58 »
Agree with the poorboys review - it's even worse on satin wheels, where it's a bugger to get off.

Might strip them and get them sealed instead.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline eug2huge

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2017, 15:30 »
Thanks for the tips guys.