Author Topic: Racing line turbo elbow  (Read 11059 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Racing line turbo elbow
« Reply #20 on: 06 November 2017, 12:40 »
OP, or anyone else who has changed one of these, when you removed the standard part did you happen to notice if it was a snug or loose fit? In fiddling about under the bonnet today I noticed mine had quite a bit of movement and wasn't the tight fit I expected. Could it be it's built in slack as it'll tighten up with the turbo getting very hot? Thanks :smiley:

The one that comes on the car has one thick o ring, whereas the racingline one has two thinner ones. There should be no play in the elbow as it is a snug fit, and also has a little bracket which is secured onto the side of the turbo.

Cheers, the bracket is secure just some lateral movement of the body. You've got me thinking now, will check again cold and hot in case turbo temperature has anything to do with it.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Tornado8

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 06 November 2017, 19:25 »
Fitted the creation motorsport elbow at the weekend. The turbo spools up so much quicker and the throttle response is so much faster IMO a well worth mod for the money.
(Revo stage 2 Forge intake) :smiley:
Old, but a serial modder!

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 07 November 2017, 14:43 »
Fitted the creation motorsport elbow at the weekend. The turbo spools up so much quicker and the throttle response is so much faster IMO a well worth mod for the money.

Nice one, still plan to get one myself!  :grin:

Good to hear your impressed, want to add this with a GFB DV+.
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline Tornado8

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 09 November 2017, 21:20 »
Already have one :smiley:
Old, but a serial modder!

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 10 November 2017, 01:08 »

And yet cheaper N better than a 'pedal box'?

I can resist everything except temptation!

Oscar Papa John...
2015 Tornado Red 5dr GTI PP, Manual, Austin wheels.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #25 on: 10 November 2017, 09:40 »
Interesting, I've been looking at this one form Forge Motorsports;
https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/MQB_Chassis_VWAudiSeat_Mk7_GtiR_Leon_Cupra_280290_S3_8V_High_Flow_Inlet_Hose--product--1580.html

Same sort of product but manufactured in one piece with the hose, apparently these types of bolt on mods are good for 10% increase.

"Apparently" you are dreaming if you expect a turbo inlet will give anywhere near 10% power gains. 100$ or thereabouts spent in fuel are a far better investment for your car unless you're after the noise.  All those piping upgrades esp. on these cars are waste of money unless as the very last mod on serious BT setups where a couple grand has already been spent already on the car and even then the gains are minimal. Lot of people confuse noise with power though so they keep having a market.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2017, 09:46 by scanesare »

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 10 November 2017, 15:11 »
https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/MQB_Chassis_VWAudiSeat_Mk7_GtiR_Leon_Cupra_280290_S3_8V_High_Flow_Inlet_Hose--product--1580.html

Same sort of product but manufactured in one piece with the hose, apparently these types of bolt on mods are good for 10% increase.

"Apparently" you are dreaming if you expect a turbo inlet will give anywhere near 10% power gains. 100$ or thereabouts spent in fuel are a far better investment for your car unless you're after the noise.  All those piping upgrades esp. on these cars are waste of money unless as the very last mod on serious BT setups where a couple grand has already been spent already on the car and even then the gains are minimal. Lot of people confuse noise with power though so they keep having a market.

I’m not fully convinced either hence the use of the word ‘apparently’, that said the design is a major improvement so must have some effect, so I do plan to give it a go if nothing more the increased intake sound and reported improved throttle repsonce are both appealing.

Taken from the Forge Motorsports website;
The Forge Motorsport high flow intake hose for the MQB platform 2.0 engines, eliminates the highly restrictive plastic inlet pipe, and replaces it with our smooth bore multi-ply silicone hose which increases air flow, improving efficiency and performance. This equates to increases of up to 10hp which is a remarkable gain for an easy to fit bolt on modification.
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 10 November 2017, 15:34 »
I'm not convinced by these and intake pipe upgrades either but they certainly do make for a good bit of under-bonnet bling :smiley: Also like the idea of tinkering :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #28 on: 10 November 2017, 15:47 »

I’m not fully convinced either hence the use of the word ‘apparently’, that said the design is a major improvement so must have some effect, so I do plan to give it a go if nothing more the increased intake sound and reported improved throttle repsonce are both appealing.

Taken from the Forge Motorsports website;
The Forge Motorsport high flow intake hose for the MQB platform 2.0 engines, eliminates the highly restrictive plastic inlet pipe, and replaces it with our smooth bore multi-ply silicone hose which increases air flow, improving efficiency and performance. This equates to increases of up to 10hp which is a remarkable gain for an easy to fit bolt on modification.

Ok, I interpreted "apparently" as something which has been proven with solid data and from what I've seen, all those items offer minimal gains at the range of 2-3% and even then only on stage 2+ cars which have anyway upgraded the rest of intake and piping as well. Forge says 10hp but is it 10hp on a stock 230bhp GTI  or 10hp on a stage 2 320-330bhp one? Quite different case. And of-course every tuner advertises their product as the best thing since sliced bread that makes you wonder how come doesn't everybody have it on their car. Even those values are close enough to the statistical error you can expect from a dyno so... That been said nothing comes close to the miserable gain/cost ratio of intakes so you can consider an inlet the better choice to spend your money on I guess.

I would avoid silicone hose solutions like Forge's though when for roughly £20 more you can get proper billet aluminium CNC machined ones from CTS, APR and Racingline.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2017, 15:50 by scanesare »

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #29 on: 10 November 2017, 15:48 »
I'm not convinced by these and intake pipe upgrades either but they certainly do make for a good bit of under-bonnet bling :smiley: Also like the idea of tinkering :whistle:

That I can definitely accept. It was the 10% gain quote that hit me hard. I've done most sorts of mods in my past cars and most of them if not a disappointment, at least didn't deliver half as much as the advertised gains. Stage 1 map is where the sweet stuff is. After that anything else until stage 3 and BT setups you're basically feeding your mod addiction and trying to convince yourself you're gaining so much  :tongue:
« Last Edit: 10 November 2017, 15:52 by scanesare »