Author Topic: Keyless car hacking  (Read 22219 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: Keyless car hacking
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2017, 15:18 »
I got my 2 'Faraday cage' bag things yesterday and I can confirm that the car will not open when the keys are inside, even stood directly next to the car :smiley:

Would you happen to have a link to what you bought? There's so many about it's difficult to sort the good from the bad. Thanks.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Car-Keyless-Entry-Fob-Guard-Signal-Blocker-Genuine-Faraday-Bag-Block-Theft/391873299545?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Hebegeebee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2017, 16:45 »
Thanks for that Kalimon. :cool:
I'll be ordering some of those later on tonight.
Picked up 03/Nov/2017 - GTi-P, White silver, 5dr., Manual with extras

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 24 October 2017, 17:12 »
Had a security update in 2011 on my 2010 BMW for the keyless entry, apparently even with the update it was still never going to be 100% guaranteed it will be there every morning. Would not have another keyless car again.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 24 October 2017, 17:28 »
There are a couple of different sorts of attack on remote entry/start systems... there are sophisticated ones which actually probe the security keys and there is this latest one which isn't sophisticated at all... which is scary.

This radio repeater one can't be fixed by the OEM!

Here's another article, from ADAC:

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/study-finds-24-car-models-open-unlocking-ignition-hack/

Again 2016.... lists a VW Golf GTD as stealable, amongst others!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 24 October 2017, 17:34 »
Here's another one:

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/just-pair-11-radio-gadgets-can-steal-car/

They managed to boost the signal even further... with $22 worth of kit!

Plus they also point out that its not just at home... I didn't think of this, but you could whack a car in the street or in a car park as you walk away from it.

Glad I don't have keyless...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 24 October 2017, 18:38 »
I agree Fred.

I know some on here swear by their keyless, but i've always thought of it both as a liability and a reinvention of the wheel. I was actually rather pleased that it's no longer standard on the 7.5.
7.5 GTD

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #16 on: 24 October 2017, 19:38 »
I like keyless but would prefer to have to use the actual remote to open and close the doors and just have push button ignition.
My wife's car is configured like this.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline st332

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 24 October 2017, 23:49 »
I bought a pair of Faraday bags on Amazon (link below) and leave the keys in them when in the house.
They seem to be overpriced but are good quality.
Hard to know which ones are good and which ones are junk on Amazon or eBay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073JNWH83/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_af87zbT3S7PVT
Collected 20/09/17: Mk 7.5 GTI PP DSG 5dr Irish Spec
Extras: Dark Iron Blue Metallic, DCC, Alarm, Keyless, Park Assist, DAB Radio, Innovation Pack (Discover Media, High Beam Light Assist, Rear View Camera, Winter Pack)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 25 October 2017, 06:38 »
£30 for a bag 😲. I only paid a fiver for one from Amazon, definitely not worth paying 30 quid though.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 25 October 2017, 08:58 »
I bought a pair of Faraday bags on Amazon (link below) and leave the keys in them when in the house.

Just to repeat myself.... the threat isn't just in the house... it can happen in a car park just as easily.

So, if you have to put your keyless fob in a bag that is sealed and then take it out to use it... haven't you just effectively stopped using keyless entry? Its actually easier to hit the blipper on the standard remote lol.