Author Topic: Winter Wheels and tyres  (Read 8253 times)

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
Winter Wheels and tyres
« on: 03 October 2017, 16:02 »
Now there was an old post but a big red box came up saying older than 120 days please consider a new post ......so i did so dont shout at me

Can anyone recommend wheels/tyres for me for the winter please - never bothered before but i know with the GTi/GTD its a worthwhile investment and we do tend to get snow and also the salt is everywhere in the winter so dont want to damage my 17's

So i came across this page from the last post and wonder if anyone has any recommendations for tyres and wheels from this lot ?

http://www.mrwinterwheels.co.uk/vw-winter-wheels/golf/golf-vii-2012/

Thanks v much  :smiley:

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Winter Wheels and tyres
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2017, 16:14 »
Are you bothered about looks?
If not then get some 16" VAG OEM wheels. I personally run A3 8P wheels (Speedline, 16", 6.5j) with Nokian WR A4 205 55 16 tyres that I bought for my mk7 estate, now on my GTD. Well 2 are still old Michelin Alpin A4 but will be changing them soon to have 4 Nokians.

In any case I couldn't recommend Nokian winter tyres enough, if you want to keep 225 width they also come in 225 45 17 and 225 40 18.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2017, 16:20 »
Are you bothered about looks?
If not then get some 16" VAG OEM wheels. I personally run A3 8P wheels (Speedline, 16", 6.5j) with Nokian WR A4 205 55 16 tyres that I bought for my mk7 estate, now on my GTD. Well 2 are still old Michelin Alpin A4 but will be changing them soon to have 4 Nokians.

In any case I couldn't recommend Nokian winter tyres enough, if you want to keep 225 width they also come in 225 45 17 and 225 40 18.

Hi, it was your post that i read and noticed you run Audi wheels - looks doesnt overly bother me id rather have an alloy than a space saver looking wheel   :rolleyes: so only slightly vain about it :)

Super will take a wee look :)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2017, 16:40 »
If you're currently running the standard GTD Nogaro wheels these are 18 inch not 17.

Most people seem to recommend smaller wheels for winter but i've stuck with 18's shod with Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 and have been very happy with them over the last couple of (albeit mild) winters.

The Michelin's can be expensive though, more so now than when I bought mine. Nokian also seem to get good reviews and are a fair bit cheaper.

Anything you get though is likely to be an improvement over the Bridgestone Potenza's that come as standard.

7.5 GTD

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2017, 16:43 »
If you're currently running the standard GTD Nogaro wheels these are 18 inch not 17.

Most people seem to recommend smaller wheels for winter but i've stuck with 18's shod with Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 and have been very happy with them over the last couple of (albeit mild) winters.

The Michelin's can be expensive though, more so now than when I bought mine. Nokian also seem to get good reviews and are a fair bit cheaper.

Anything you get though is likely to be an improvement over the Bridgestone Potenza's that come as standard.

Whatever those are in the sig pic :)

will have to have a look for 17 or 18's

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2017, 17:00 »
Your Nogaros are 18s.

The 16s don't look too space saver like... well not compared to the 17s my old estate came with. Compared to 18s maybe ;)
Main advantage of these 16" Audi wheels is they are dead cheap and nobody will want to steal them....

Not sure I've got any photos of the GTD with them.
« Last Edit: 03 October 2017, 17:03 by itavaltalainen »

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 03 October 2017, 17:18 »
Save the money and run your own wheels if they do get damaged use the money to have them refurbished next spring  :smiley:

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 03 October 2017, 17:36 »
Got to fork out money twice a year then for tyres to be swapped over though.

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2017, 17:52 »
I've just provisionally agreed to sell these, but these are genuine VW 17s in the recommended winter size of 205/50R17 fitted to my GTD - a really good investment for winters in North East Scotland as it meant I didn't need to use the polished Nogaros in the salt and snow

Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 03 October 2017, 19:32 »
Got to fork out money twice a year then for tyres to be swapped over though.
Jeni has a friend that's a tyre fitter  :wink: