Author Topic: Upper Coolant Return Line  (Read 1823 times)

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
Upper Coolant Return Line
« on: 02 October 2017, 11:56 »
Potentially a silly question but I've talked myself into both scenarios being valid...

During my wire tuck and further engine bay simplification adventures recently (thread in the Mk4 projects) I've finally gotten rid of the horrible rusty twin hard line that runs across the inlet manifold and is bolted to the fuel rail. One line is used for the EVAP to combi-valve system (I've deleted the EVAP previously) and the other is a connection between the 8mm ID coolant line from top of the coolant ball (joins at the left hand side of the block) and the upper rad hose (joins into the plastic 4-way piece at the right hand side of the block).

As a temporary state I've put a silicone blank on both the coolant ball and the small feed off the top of the plastic 4-way piece, mainly just to stop contamination/leaks while the car is in pieces, plus I had the blanks handy and in the right size :grin:

Question is, can you simply blank these off and run the car as-is? I believe the upper hose from the coolant ball is only operational in an "overflow" event where the coolant level in the ball increases to a point where it can vent some back into the system post radiator? Current plan is to run a single piece of 8mm rad hose but it got me thinking if I can live without it, it's one less thing to look at/clean/worry about?