Author Topic: Mk4 brake light switch  (Read 2777 times)

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
Mk4 brake light switch
« on: 07 September 2017, 18:30 »
My brake light switch appears to be on the blink and probably needs replacing. My scanner tells me so and the warning light in the cluster flashes in a most annoying way....lack of brake lights seem to confirm this.

Does any learned member have the time to let me know what the correct part number might be? I 've spent an age using the search function, but the only number I can find seems to be 1CO 945 511 A NAR, but that was provided by someone trying to 'upspec' his car to R32 standard....he also mentioned something about it being a recall subject.

My Mk4 is a 2000 model, 1.9 TDI and is LHD if that helps.

Many thanks to the person who can help me out.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
Re: Mk4 brake light switch
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2017, 14:26 »
All sorted now...fitted new switch this afternoon.

That part number I provided above is incorrect...just in case someone may be interested.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2017, 17:27 »
One thing that I did learn from this exercise...before you slip off and buy a replacement switch assy, take the old/buggered one out of the car and either photograph it or take it with you to the supplier...some of the replacement ones seem to share the same part number, but won't fit or are so tricky to fit, you will probably break the damned thing when locking it in!!
Some of them come with two blade pins, others have four connecting pins (like mine).

With the correct switch, the job will take about 10 minutes, start to finish. Cost me a tad over 3 pounds for the switch.

Hope this helps someone.  :smiley:

Offline Smiff•

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2017, 19:15 »
Had the same issue with my car. The one the book said was right  for the car had the wrong number of pins...!

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2017, 11:53 »
That was a problem I came across...and the reason I suggested taking the buggered one in with you when buying the replacement. Took me two visits to the shop to get it right. PITA!!!

Offline Chrishan08

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 12 October 2017, 21:44 »
On the topic of switches, I am having problems with my mk4 gti with high revs when changing gear and takes a while to pick up speed unless i floor the accelerator! anoyone know what may cause this. I have read up that it would be a faulty clutch switch?

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2017, 11:10 »
Are you getting any codes or warning lights? Problem could be caused by a number of different things eg...TPS or MAF etc. Could be as simple as a slipping clutch.
« Last Edit: 14 October 2017, 18:54 by bgbazz »

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 18 October 2017, 19:50 »
Can't help but wonder...did you get this problem sorted?