Author Topic: Dilemma ..resurrect a GTI  (Read 2948 times)

Offline smallzoo

• Not said much yet
Dilemma ..resurrect a GTI
« on: 19 June 2017, 18:53 »
Long story but I was given a GTI from my brother who has moved abroad.

I put it in for an MOT knowing as it had been sat for two years it was going to fail on a lot...and it did !

A local guy who is a good mechanic and works from a unit has quoted me for the work. I dont think the prices are by any means incorrect...so the question is for a 1984 8v Gti ( first of the mk2's ) special edition ( has decor seats ), 186k miles...is the car going to be worth say £1500+ after I spend the £800...BUT bear in mind the bodywork also needs tidying up ( at least one door, boot catch, window seals etc )

This is the list
Totals including labour

Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content excessive (7.3.B.1a)      £ 110.00   
Nearside Front Outer Anti-roll bar linkage rubber bush deteriorated   £  17.00   
Offside Front Outer Anti-roll bar linkage rubber bush deteriorated      £  17.00   
Nearside Shock absorber has a serious fluid leak (2.7.3)                   £  75.00   
earside Rear Brake hose ferrule excessively corroded                        £  20.00   
Nearside Rear Brake hose ferrule excessively corroded                      £  15.00   
Offside Headlamp not working on dipped beam (1.7.5a)               £   3.00   
Offside Headlamp not working on main beam (1.7.5a)                       £   3.00   
Nearside Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively  £   2.50   
Offside Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively    £   2.50   
Rear Exhaust system not adequately supported (7.1.1)                       £ 10.00   
Nearside Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)               £   1.00   
Nearside Front Tyre has a bulge                                                  £ 30.00   
Offside Front Tyre has a lump,                                                       £ 30.00   
Offside Rear Tyre has ply or cords exposed (4.1.D.1b)                       £ 30.00   
Rear passenger door does not latch securely closed (6.2.B.1a)       £ 10.00   
Service brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)                       £ 25.00   
Nearside rear brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.5a)               £ 85.00   
Offside rear brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.5a)               £ 85.00   
discs and pads all round needed, the front with parts and labour        £ 75.00   
coolant change and new thermostat , with labour                              £ 40.00   
new rocker cover gasket, with labour                                               £ 12.00   
timing belt and tensioner, new drive belt + labour                             £ 115.00

I know its an enthusiasts car and I am not shying away from that but my budget will be tight so I need to know that I would at least get my money back if the worst cam to the worst and I had to sell it

cheers

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Dilemma ..resurrect a GTI
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2017, 11:09 »
Keep those mk2 alive!

Financially it might break even, depends how far you take the restoration. How much you will enjoy the project? Is that more interesting than just letting it go as-is for what, 500?
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2017, 14:03 »
 Im with jv. Also with the exhaust emissions what has he said hes going to need to do? If its not blowing it only needs the metering head co setting up and such to bring the fuelling down and all into check.
800 for the car to be on the road. Early mk2s arent about all that much so youd atleast break even on a bad day.

You want to see some of the 2k mk2s for sale on ebay

Offline Hagreed

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 06 November 2017, 06:25 »
that's totally a wastage of money. hope you've already changed ur decision

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2017, 15:36 »
To be honest, quite a lot of things on that list is stuff you could sort for yourself...saving some money to put towards other things.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.