Author Topic: heeeeeelp!  (Read 6602 times)

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
heeeeeelp!
« on: 10 March 2017, 14:21 »
How long after stopping the GTD 2.0 TDI engine, should I leave it before restarting? I ask because after I stopped the engine, using the stop/start button, I left it about a minute, then restarted. There was a burning smell from the engine (like it was cooking up real good in there) and rear exhaust and the fan cut in.  It also smelt very hot under the bonnet and under all the car.  :shocked:
What I'd like to know is, did I restart the diesel engine too soon? If so, how long should I leave it before restarting from hot and are there any special driving procedures I need to know about, with the 2.0 TDI engine? I have to say, I've never had this with all the petrol engine cars I've had. Surely the GTD engine isn't that temperamental/delicate, that you have to leave it a while, before restarting and I mean 5 minutes or more!?Thanks.

To add insult to injury, the car has refused to start a couple of times (before engine burning smell), with a warning on both occasions, on the MFD display, requesting I use a key(?) to start the engine, on a car with keyless. Can't see anything in the VW handbook, when or where I should insert a key to start the engine? Got it main dealer checked and they could find no fault codes.

Please bear in mind this is a brand new car too, yet I am experiencing this? Not good, as I say. Love the GTD so much, but hate the unreliability we are having...  :sad:
« Last Edit: 10 March 2017, 14:23 by GTDING »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: heeeeeelp!
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2017, 14:58 »
The burning smell and whirring fan is probably a DPF regen...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2017, 15:13 »
X2
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2017, 16:36 »
How long after stopping the GTD 2.0 TDI engine, should I leave it before restarting? I ask because after I stopped the engine, using the stop/start button, I left it about a minute, then restarted. There was a burning smell from the engine (like it was cooking up real good in there) and rear exhaust and the fan cut in.  It also smelt very hot under the bonnet and under all the car.  :shocked:
What I'd like to know is, did I restart the diesel engine too soon? If so, how long should I leave it before restarting from hot and are there any special driving procedures I need to know about, with the 2.0 TDI engine? I have to say, I've never had this with all the petrol engine cars I've had. Surely the GTD engine isn't that temperamental/delicate, that you have to leave it a while, before restarting and I mean 5 minutes or more!?Thanks.

To add insult to injury, the car has refused to start a couple of times (before engine burning smell), with a warning on both occasions, on the MFD display, requesting I use a key(?) to start the engine, on a car with keyless. Can't see anything in the VW handbook, when or where I should insert a key to start the engine? Got it main dealer checked and they could find no fault codes.

Please bear in mind this is a brand new car too, yet I am experiencing this? Not good, as I say. Love the GTD so much, but hate the unreliability we are having...  :sad:

As already mentioned sounds like the DPF regeneration. The cooling fans will continue to run for 6-10 minutes to cool down the engine components after the ignition is switched off. This is normal and it will smell.
No need to wait to restart the engine if you are making another trip as the cooling fans will operate automatically as necessary.
The regens will get less frequent as you get some miles on the clock.

If this is your first diesel with the latest DPF set up for emissions reduction then you might well panic when this happens for the first time.

I'd change the coin battery in the key fob by the way and emergency starting with the key is covered in the handbook. If you continue to have the issue with the key take it back to the dealers.

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2017, 23:59 »

As already mentioned sounds like the DPF regeneration. The cooling fans will continue to run for 6-10 minutes to cool down the engine components after the ignition is switched off. This is normal and it will smell.
No need to wait to restart the engine if you are making another trip as the cooling fans will operate automatically as necessary.

If this is your first diesel with the latest DPF set up for emissions reduction then you might well panic when this happens for the first time.

I'd change the coin battery in the key fob by the way and emergency starting with the key is covered in the handbook. If you continue to have the issue with the key take it back to the dealers.

Many thanks. So no need to worry if this happens again. I haven't cooked the engine, by restarting so soon after turning the engine off?

Also, the non start and the warning on the MFD, was that down to the car not detecting the key fob in the car?

I've got the car booked in at the VW garage, as I was so worried I'd damaged the engine, due to the smell and heat it was producing. Plus the non starting issue, was to be investigated, although it didn't do it today. Do you think that I don't need the car checked over now? Thanks again.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2017, 07:56 »

Many thanks. So no need to worry if this happens again. I haven't cooked the engine, by restarting so soon after turning the engine off?

Also, the non start and the warning on the MFD, was that down to the car not detecting the key fob in the car?

I've got the car booked in at the VW garage, as I was so worried I'd damaged the engine, due to the smell and heat it was producing. Plus the non starting issue, was to be investigated, although it didn't do it today. Do you think that I don't need the car checked over now? Thanks again.

I have had the same both things with my new GTD. The smell I have never had with my other diesel cars and all of them have had DPF's but the fan running I've had loads of times on my cc's.

With the key I started using the key I gave to my wife and I haven't had the problem again. As for the start car with key on a keyless car, if you look at the steering column where the key would go on a non keyless car you will see a key symbol and all you have to do is hold the key against there if the battery in the key goes to start the car.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 11 March 2017, 17:11 »

I have had the same both things with my new GTD. The smell I have never had with my other diesel cars and all of them have had DPF's but the fan running I've had loads of times on my cc's.

With the key I started using the key I gave to my wife and I haven't had the problem again. As for the start car with key on a keyless car, if you look at the steering column where the key would go on a non keyless car you will see a key symbol and all you have to do is hold the key against there if the battery in the key goes to start the car.

Thanks, good to 'meet' a fellow new GTD owner! Did you have the whole personalised handover thing, in a private room? My wife loved that, music and lasers too! :grin:
I wonder if its a new car thing, with regards to the key? Did yours do the same and not start up, for a couple of tries, with the 'use the manual key start' message?

How you tried turning off the engine and restarting after 30sec to a minute? I wouldn't, as that's when it got very hot, but now I've been told its the DFP regen, I'm not so worried that I damaged the engine. I guess you've had 'mamma's kitchen's on fire' smell from the car too then! :huh:

Hope you don't mind me asking, but have you found the more you drive your new GTD, it feels very differently to the car you first picked up (ie when you left the showroom)? Ours had very light steering, the suspension felt very 'soft' and very different to how it feels now. The steering is now weighting up nicely, which I'm guessing is something to do with the tyres wearing in. The suspension feels abit firmer, in Eco and normal (I've not really had it in Sport much yet). Also the engine feels like its producing abit more power too! The car just feels abit 'firmer and sportier' than when it had really low miles on.
 Interesting to experience this running in period.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2017, 11:17 »

Thanks, good to 'meet' a fellow new GTD owner! Did you have the whole personalised handover thing, in a private room? My wife loved that, music and lasers too! :grin:
I wonder if its a new car thing, with regards to the key? Did yours do the same and not start up, for a couple of tries, with the 'use the manual key start' message?

How you tried turning off the engine and restarting after 30sec to a minute? I wouldn't, as that's when it got very hot, but now I've been told its the DFP regen, I'm not so worried that I damaged the engine. I guess you've had 'mamma's kitchen's on fire' smell from the car too then! :huh:

Hope you don't mind me asking, but have you found the more you drive your new GTD, it feels very differently to the car you first picked up (ie when you left the showroom)? Ours had very light steering, the suspension felt very 'soft' and very different to how it feels now. The steering is now weighting up nicely, which I'm guessing is something to do with the tyres wearing in. The suspension feels abit firmer, in Eco and normal (I've not really had it in Sport much yet). Also the engine feels like its producing abit more power too! The car just feels abit 'firmer and sportier' than when it had really low miles on.
 Interesting to experience this running in period.

Had the 'in a room thing' but I'm fairly sure they know I wouldn't be bothered about the other stuff. I had told them that I would need an hour to check the car over before signing the paperwork.

How many miles have you on your car? The steering will feel firmer and sharper in sport mode.

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2017, 12:19 »
Not many, only picked it up this week! Under 400 miles. Feels so different to the other one..

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2017, 12:52 »
Not many, only picked it up this week! Under 400 miles. Feels so different to the other one..

Had mine 11 days and over 1500 miles on it now.