Author Topic: Gtd vs Clubsport S  (Read 4538 times)

Offline Caval4r

• Not said much yet
Gtd vs Clubsport S
« on: 06 January 2017, 10:16 »
Hi all,

Now please don't think this is going to be about a GTD beating a Clubsport S as I promise it isn't.

But I've just taken delivery of a new GTD estate and the thing is absolutely wonderful. I have the Clubsport S as my little toy sitting in the garage but wow what a car this GTD is.

While I love the occasion the Clubsport S is providing me with, the GTD just does everything required of it when it asked in superb manner. It does need a little more grunt in my opinion which will be addressed in the next few weeks when the mileage has increased slightly.

So really all I wanted to say was wow.....what a great car :)

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
Re: Gtd vs Clubsport S
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2017, 15:14 »
Ok so just reading your title, I was like "really''

But after reading your post I was like "oh ok''  :laugh: Congrats on both your new toys!!

So you have the best of both worlds and a play toy for the nice weekends and a day to dayer!

What's the spec of both then..? I have a GTD myself coming in March and tbh the waiting time surprisingly isn't dragging but then again it's not as if I'm driving round in a heap.

Got any pics of the car(s)?
« Last Edit: 06 January 2017, 15:33 by Mr GTD »
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Fabio Bignose

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2017, 15:47 »
Nice items to have in your garage!

Please upload some pics of the GTD Estate as this model not available in Ireland for some reason...
Mk7.5 GTD. DCC, Keyless, Dynaudio, Tech pack, Alarm, Isaac Blue
Mk7 GTD. Xenons, 18", Climate Control, Keyless, Alarm, ( all optional in Ireland...! ) Dynaudio, DCC,
CSG.
Mk6 GTD. Alarm, CSG.

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2017, 00:33 »
Yeah well my GTD (Standard) wastes most things on the road.Even the mighty Clubsport S.All i have to do is whack the sport mode on and it ramps the motor up to 450bhp (at the wheels).Took out an A45 AMG the other day (the 376bhp model). :cool:
When i want economy,i just put it into ECO mode and i must be getting about 90mpg.
The GTD really is the best of both worlds!. :wink: :grin:
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline asm1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2017, 13:58 »
Yeah well my GTD (Standard) wastes most things on the road.Even the mighty Clubsport S.All i have to do is whack the sport mode on and it ramps the motor up to 450bhp (at the wheels).Took out an A45 AMG the other day (the 376bhp model). :cool:
When i want economy,i just put it into ECO mode and i must be getting about 90mpg.

*sniggers*  yes indeed.  It is deceptively quick but not THAT quick.  I have a DSG model, and the changes are far quicker than anything a human can do pumping their leg up and down and waving a stick about :evil:

Managed 400 miles to a tank on my third refill (got the car in november) completely stock except for a K&N panel filter.

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2017, 00:54 »

*sniggers*  yes indeed.  It is deceptively quick but not THAT quick.  I have a DSG model, and the changes are far quicker than anything a human can do pumping their leg up and down and waving a stick about :evil:

Managed 400 miles to a tank on my third refill (got the car in november) completely stock except for a K&N panel filter.

Wish i'd specced the DSG.Sitting in morning traffic,in out shake it all about.Quite tiresome. :sad:
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline asm1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2017, 23:04 »
Wish i'd specced the DSG.Sitting in morning traffic,in out shake it all about.Quite tiresome. :sad:
I feel your pain
I'm an "auto only" driver and I must say the DSG is probably the best Automatic I've had so far.  I have problems with fatigue as a result of my Disability but the smoothness and ease with which progress can be made is far less tiring on the GTD than it was on my previous car.  I am due a busy drive for a few days away next week so shall see how that goes.

Back on topic -ish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFz5s0HuhQ0 - is a gentleman making decent progress in a GTD with DSG round the nurburgring.  He also does laps in an R.  NO I'm not for a minute suggesting GTD> R but under 9 mins is not bad :p

Offline NewCsS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2017, 19:04 »
Hi

Took my clubsport S for its first run today. It awesome pulls strong in every gear and pops on gear changes under load :grin:.

My gtd manual is quick but the S feels like it's never going to stop pulling. Can't wait until it's run in  :shocked: . I did only manage to get 16mpg mind you it was in race mode.

Roll on the Summer  :smiley: 

All those flipping with only delivery mileage. Go out and use them you won't regret it  :cry: it's only money your losing . If you sell for purchase price next year what you've lost nothing and had some drives you will never forget :laugh: