Author Topic: CSS - lack of space saver -mobility kit  (Read 8730 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: CSS - lack of space saver -mobility kit
« Reply #20 on: 12 December 2016, 21:09 »
If it's meant for the road then it would come with either a space saver or a foam kit. It could on the other hand just be a ploy from vw to get owners to buy something else from them that they should have got from the beginning  :whistle: Either way it's turned out to be not that practical a road car really and defeats the object of the car. It's like VW have literally said that's the car that did the ring lap so that's what we'll sell and sod everything else.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline vipergts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 12 December 2016, 21:19 »
I wouldn't want a spare wheel. Can't remember the last car I bought that actually had one.

Offline volkswizard

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 12 December 2016, 22:02 »
It's like VW have literally said that's the car that did the ring lap so that's what we'll sell and sod everything else.

I think the record car's roll cage weighs more than some tyre foam and pump.

Offline vipergts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 12 December 2016, 22:09 »

Lets face it once you start ripping the back seats out of a golf moaning about the lack of a spare seems a bit silly.

You clearly have missed the point. :rolleyes:

Taking seats out is completely different to immobilizing the car with a puncture and claiming it was to save weight.

@Viper the 964rs had a nice little (much smaller than normal) carpet with the tools spare and all the other parts under the bonnet exposed.  Seem to remember my 964 smelling of petrol under the bonnet, still loved it though.

That's right, tiny carpet covering the wheel, battery cut off on the right.

Offline Sean G

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 12 December 2016, 22:23 »
Be it a space saver or a mobility kit the car should have came with one or the other - even though the mobility kit won't help in every flat tyre situation .Being stuck in the middle of nowhere or in the middle of the night waiting for a breakdown to recover you isn't my idea of fun.
I've a space saver, a space saver tool kit and a space saver storage bag bought if I feel the need to put them in the car I can and I've also a mobility kit ordered also should I just choose to carry that.
With a bit of searching the space saver kit and tool kit can be securely mounted to the floor with no issues of it becoming loose . Should I wish to do this I can cover with a load liner - though that isn't necessary.
If I go to track the car I can simply remove them and reduce the weight but in everyday use I hardly think the performance will be affected.
Anyways each to their own and what they decide to do or not to do.
Let's face it the towing eye issue was an over site by VW and personally I think the lack of at least a mobility kit was too.

Offline GT4

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 12 December 2016, 23:39 »
Be it a space saver or a mobility kit the car should have came with one or the other - even though the mobility kit won't help in every flat tyre situation .Being stuck in the middle of nowhere or in the middle of the night waiting for a breakdown to recover you isn't my idea of fun.
I've a space saver, a space saver tool kit and a space saver storage bag bought if I feel the need to put them in the car I can and I've also a mobility kit ordered also should I just choose to carry that.
With a bit of searching the space saver kit and tool kit can be securely mounted to the floor with no issues of it becoming loose . Should I wish to do this I can cover with a load liner - though that isn't necessary.
If I go to track the car I can simply remove them and reduce the weight but in everyday use I hardly think the performance will be affected.
Anyways each to their own and what they decide to do or not to do.
Let's face it the towing eye issue was an over site by VW and personally I think the lack of at least a mobility kit was too.

Sean. I agree - VW oversight ... as so many of the CSS small details have become.

Offline volkswizard

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 13 December 2016, 06:48 »
I know the mobility kit is not a guaranteed fix but at least it's there and until you have a puncture and find out it's not very good you just forget about the lack of spare wheel because in the actually quite unlikely event of a puncture the kit should get you out of trouble.

With nothing supplied I will be constantly worrying.

Should I have to lug a can of tyre foam 169 miles on public transport when I collect my £34k zero discount car?

A no cost option like the aircon delete as to whether you want a mobility kit would have been good.

Likewise a luggage net which weighs nothing is almost negligent in its absence, even if it's just for helmets.

Maybe VW should have done what Ferrari do with the FXX and just deliver the car to tracks for us, don't bother road registering it all?
« Last Edit: 13 December 2016, 15:28 by volkswizard »

Offline Ooosh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 18 December 2016, 10:38 »
jjgreenwood

VW1386-16

Great info thank you.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2016, 10:42 by Ooosh »
CSS + McLaren 570S + Saxdor 200 + Christen Eagle

Offline VAG

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 22 December 2016, 22:29 »
Im just great full i own a CSS  :rolleyes:

Offline volkswizard

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 23 December 2016, 14:07 »
I know the mobility kit is not a guaranteed fix but at least it's there and until you have a puncture and find out it's not very good you just forget about the lack of spare wheel because in the actually quite unlikely event of a puncture the kit should get you out of trouble.

With nothing supplied I will be constantly worrying.

Should I have to lug a can of tyre foam 169 miles on public transport when I collect my £34k zero discount car?

A no cost option like the aircon delete as to whether you want a mobility kit would have been good.

Likewise a luggage net which weighs nothing is almost negligent in its absence, even if it's just for helmets.

Maybe VW should have done what Ferrari do with the FXX and just deliver the car to tracks for us, don't bother road registering it all?

I've just got a kit off ebay, Continental with pump and foam, brand new £12 delivered.  It even has a foam insert for the boot, not sure what car is off but a lot seem to be Nissan but can't see they wont be compatible with a Schaeder valved tyre on any car. Going rate is £20-£30 and still cheap then considering foam is £40+ from dealer.