Author Topic: CSS - lack of space saver -mobility kit  (Read 8740 times)

Jackie Treehorn

Re: CSS - lack of space saver -mobility kit
« Reply #10 on: 12 December 2016, 15:59 »

To save weight, the Golf GTI Clubsport S does not come with an emergency inflation kit or spare wheel. See VW0926-16 for more information.

Sorry I understand you are the messenger of this info but this is a poor response,  if VW wanted to save weight they could have left out any number of items, Nav, radio, heated seats, Air con, 19 Prets, light and sight pack, added a smaller 1tr washer bottle if they wanted for the figures,  then allowed customers to add to the weight with what ever options they wanted.  The headline weight figure would still be intact, but to leave out a method of moving the car if you get a puncture is ridiculous.  Lots of lightweight cars have been made over the years and most if not all came with this basic feature, R26R had tyre foam, some even came with spare wheel and tools (964 RS). 

I can't understand why you would have Discovery Nav in a car you wouldn't drive very far just in case you get a puncture...

Offline vipergts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 12 December 2016, 19:18 »
Spot on

I can't remember what my 26R had but my 964RS had the space saver along with all the other bits

It's a very poor excuse from VW, pathetic as these items are easily removed

I've written a strong letter to my dealer with other points of dissatisfaction as VW UK haven't bothered to give me a response.

Offline volkswizard

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 12 December 2016, 19:30 »
Spot on

I can't remember what my 26R had but my 964RS had the space saver along with all the other bits

It's a very poor excuse from VW, pathetic as these items are easily removed

I've written a strong letter to my dealer with other points of dissatisfaction as VW UK haven't bothered to give me a response.

They wouldn't let the press drive them without a van full of tyres present, say no more.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/hooning-a-vw-golf-gti-clubsport-s-on-a-mountain-road-was-my-idea-of-hot-hatch-perfection/

Offline jjgreenwood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 12 December 2016, 19:32 »
I'm not too fussed as their compressor and foam kit would have required the boot liner which I guess would have added more weight. I can stick a can of the foam stuff in the glovebox.

It's not a regular car in any case so not really worth getting all worked up about a spare wheel.

Lets face it once you start ripping the back seats out of a golf moaning about the lack of a spare seems a bit silly.
Sales Manager - Inchcape Volkswagen Swindon

VW Golf GTI Clubsport S - GO15 CSS

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #14 on: 12 December 2016, 20:11 »

Lets face it once you start ripping the back seats out of a golf moaning about the lack of a spare seems a bit silly.

You clearly have missed the point. :rolleyes:

Taking seats out is completely different to immobilizing the car with a puncture and claiming it was to save weight.

@Viper the 964rs had a nice little (much smaller than normal) carpet with the tools spare and all the other parts under the bonnet exposed.  Seem to remember my 964 smelling of petrol under the bonnet, still loved it though.

« Last Edit: 12 December 2016, 20:22 by Jackie Treehorn »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 12 December 2016, 20:19 »
If you want a car with a spare buy a CS or a Gti. I view the CS-S as more of a track car not s practical hatchback.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline volkswizard

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 12 December 2016, 20:24 »
If you want a car with a spare buy a CS or a Gti. I view the CS-S as more of a track car not s practical hatchback.

Does CSS come with a trailer as well as otherwise you need to drive on roads and are therefore prone to punctures?
Put it this way,  the 'ring is a long way away

UK press launch was on roads so they aren't irrelevant to its remit (and they had a puncture!)
« Last Edit: 12 December 2016, 20:53 by volkswizard »

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #17 on: 12 December 2016, 20:29 »

Er?

You say that like its a track focused weapon...  But it has nav, heated seats, AC and light and sight pack, its to be enjoyed whether on or off a track.  Do you think it should only be taking to trackdays on a trailer?  Or do you think owners should be able to drive to the circuit, or enjoy the Evo triangle, or B road blast?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 12 December 2016, 20:44 »

Er?

You say that like its a track focused weapon...  But it has nav, heated seats, AC and light and sight pack, its to be enjoyed whether on or off a track.  Do you think it should only be taking to trackdays on a trailer?  Or do you think owners should be able to drive to the circuit, or enjoy the Evo triangle, or B road blast?

I think that the road noise would grate very quickly as a daily driver - a standard GTD/GTI/R is far noisier with just the back seats down to extend the boot (in a way that would surely be replicated in a bigger way in a CSS without back seats and a boot floor). Add in a reduction in other sound insulation, and on a practical level only being 20ps up on the CS (you'll be in license losing territory on public roads before you run out of boost with the CS and are down to 265ps). Depends what you are coming from I suppose, but coming from another Golf rather than something like a little Lotus, you'll notice a lack of refinement when driving on the roads in a lawfully enthusiastic way.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline volkswizard

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 12 December 2016, 20:54 »

...or the remote Northumberland roads on which EVO tested it for ECOTY (not ETCOTY)