Author Topic: Can you fit retrofit Discovery Nav or Discovery Nav Pro  (Read 4496 times)

Offline TheBlondeFella

• Just got here
I've just placed a deposit on pre registered car for what seems to be a good price.
The only issue is that apart from Prets, the car is standard. The dealer has told me that the head unit installed in the car is not the type that can have Apple play or reverse camera retro fitted ( it has a mute button on the bottom left instead of a voice button) and the Garmin sat nav option be offered is rubbish.

So my question is; is it possible to retrofit a head unit from a car that had nav installed form the factory? (Bought 2nd hand from ebay). I believe these units can then also be fitted with Apple Play and a reverse camera .
Has anyone actually done this, did it work ( keep all the functionality) where was it done and how much did it cost ?
I naively thought this would be an easy fix when I placed my deposit but the more I look into more impossible it seems. The only HU suggesting that's been suggested that will give me nav (and a better sound) is the £1400 Alpine unit which is way out of my price range.
I should be happy with my purchase but I can't help thinking I've made a mistake as I won't get the features in the car that i was after

Offline TheBlondeFella

• Just got here
Re: Can you fit retrofit Discovery Nav or Discovery Nav Pro
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2016, 12:33 »
The car is a mk7 golf just incase there's any confusion.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2016, 06:44 »
If you are not 100% happy or certain then don't buy the car. What model golf is it and what year? The issue you've got is the new discover units in the mqb cars are tied to the chassis unlike the old RNS units. The units can be retro fitted but they will need the component protection removing and I'm not sure if many people have managed this.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Dingbat75

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2017, 23:21 »
Old thread I know but if it helps...... you can retrofit from composition media to discover or discover pro.  As long as component protection is removed 1st

See Alex Retrofit on FB or factoryretrofits.co.uk

I'm getting my 63 plate GTI  that has 5.8inch composition media retrofitted with 8inch screen mib2 discover pro car app enabled and oem rear camera