Author Topic: Kenwood/Garmin GVN-MIB1 (GVN60) sat nav  (Read 9421 times)

Offline notbrianblessed

• Just got here
Kenwood/Garmin GVN-MIB1 (GVN60) sat nav
« on: 14 September 2016, 08:21 »
Hi all

I have just bought a second hand Mk7 Golf GTD with the aftermarket Kenwood/Garmin GVN-MIB1 (GVN60) sat nav. The GVN60 firmware has never been updated and there is a new version from April this year (https://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-01178-02).

Has anybody upgraded the firmware on the GVN60 and is it worthwhile? I have had seen problems with firmware updates on other devices causing issues or losing functionality so are there any downsides or does the firmware upgrade actually improve the sat nav?

Thanks

NotBrian

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: Kenwood/Garmin GVN-MIB1 (GVN60) sat nav
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2016, 12:13 »
You'd be better moving this to the car audio thread :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2016, 12:17 »
My biggest question regarding the Garmin/Kenwood nav upgrade is why can't it be fitted with the Dynaudio setup in place.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline notbrianblessed

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2016, 12:48 »
Thanks kalimon and fair point. I'm a newbie here and can see no way to move my post though - any clues or should I cross post?

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2016, 12:56 »
Thread moved.

"If the software upload fails, and subsequent upload attempts prove unsuccessful, the unit may need to be returned to Garmin for service."

Lovely get out there.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=9254

There's no change log or anything at all about what updates/fixes are included! Quality documentation :whistle:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline notbrianblessed

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2016, 13:15 »
My thoughts exactly - the sat nav works well at the moment (apart from having no TMC traffic coverage which seems to be normal) so I have no idea whether to apply the new firmware. A change log would be great  :laugh:

I will try Garmin support but, being a cynic, I'm not going to hold my breath

Offline baz2011uk

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2016, 02:08 »
Hi

Sorry to hijack your post a little but how are you getting on with the GVN-MIB1? is it glitchy, slow does reception stay strong or drop out as i am looking at adding it onto my Golf R 2015 as only have the standard unit fitted

Offline notbrianblessed

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2016, 10:06 »
The satnav works like a standard Garmin satnav - having the satnav built-in is great, GPS reception is fine and it works well. The GUI is a little blocky and looks retro. TMC is extremely flaky and doesn't work at all for me around Cambridgeshire - the TMC antenna is a cable that runs around the top of the door so I have sourced an FM splitter from the manufacturer Kenwood which I will fit when I get a chance.

If you don't need it to look OEM and built-in, a standalone satnav will be better value and you can take it with you.

The other consideration is that the unit is installed by VW dealers behind the glove box unit so if you wanted to access the SD card reader to update maps or POIs, you would need to take off the appropriate trim and take the whole glove box unit out. I have run an SD card extender from mine down into the glove box so perhaps ask the dealer to do that for you or see if there is a better install location. While I had access, I also took the opportunity to plug my laptop into the satnav and add some extra vehicle icons - who doesn't want Super Mario rather than the default red arrow??  :laugh:

Offline baz2011uk

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2016, 01:11 »
thanks bud i may have this added but will see what the stand alone sat navs are like theses days as not used a stand alone in about 5 years now