Author Topic: Throttle response gti....oh my god moment  (Read 63905 times)

Offline buddfridge

• Here all the time
Throttle response gti....oh my god moment
« on: 02 July 2016, 07:27 »
I have got to ask , my next door neighbour has given me a drive of his vrs with a dtuk box and pedal box fitted, now I actually thought it felt faster than my gti because of the throttle response. I know the gti is very smooth and deceptively quick but the pedal or throttle response does seem a bit vague even in sport...has anyone fitted a pedal box to a gti to address this issue...and did it work ?

I do think the gti is powerfully enough so I don't want to consider mapping but I would like some advice to the pedal box and its merits if possible.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2016, 09:46 by buddfridge »
gti pp manual white 5 door

Offline buddfridge

• Here all the time
Re: Throttle responce gti
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2016, 07:29 »
Ps it could be that I am driving this all wrong as I tend to have a light foot...that's why I would like to feel more throttle on just feathering the pedal.
« Last Edit: 02 July 2016, 09:12 by buddfridge »

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2016, 08:08 »
You will find Exonian and some others on previous threads may have spoken about fitting pedal boxs to resolve the dead spots on the throttle of their golfs.  Try searching on this forum to see if you can find the threads, it was not too long ago. 

Offline buddfridge

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2016, 09:15 »
Thanks Brenbo, I have managed to find that post and I have just realised that I had read that a few weeks back too..still looking for more I do before pulling the trigger, it sounds good though.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2016, 09:46 »
I don't drive my GTI remotely quickly, mainly due to where I live which is one giant speed trap :sad:
However, a week ago I had the occasion to really put the throttle down hard and the car completely transformed in an instant.
So yes, you are probably feathering the throttle most of the time like most sensible people :smiley:
There's not a great deal of joy to be had in driving these days,  especially around Manchester :cry:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2016, 11:39 »
I have owned numerous Civic Type-R's and as a result got used to having a heavy foot on the throttle to get any performance out of the car.  Also coming from a Civic Type-R with low torque, when i got my GTI I felt it had more than enough throttle response and kick.  I still feel it is just fine how it is.  But the amount of throttle response you are comfortable with will be a personal thing and depend on your driving style, some others on the forum will feel getting a pedal box is a must and worth every penny.  I know Exonian has fitted pedal box and swears by it. 

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2016, 12:12 »
I have got to ask , my next door neighbour has given me a drive of his vrs with a dtuk box and pedal box fitted, now I actually thought it felt faster than my gti because of the throttle response. I know the gti is very smooth and deceptively quick but the pedal or throttle response does seem a bit vague even in sport...has anyone fitted a pedal box to a gti to address this issue...and did it work ?

I do think the gti is powerfully enough so I don't want to consider mapping but I would like some advice to the pedal box and its merits if possible.

I'm pretty sure Exonian has a pedal box fitted so he can give you the low down when he sees this post  :wink:
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2016, 12:32 »
I Have a pedal box and several others do. I really rate this upgrade. It really wake A up the car and makes it feel special with low to medium throttle input - the standard throttle has a nice weight and feel but for me lacks a response - it feels elastic in normal driving conditions I.e not full throttle caning the car, then it probably makes bugger all difference.

Best way I can describe it - the throttle response with the box reminds me of a 205 GTI I used to own. The throttle input and sensitivity is for me a major factor in the driving experience but each to their own. You get accustomed to everything though so you do not realise how bad the throttle response is until you take the pedal box off.

I would thoroughly recommend the box. As you mentioned the tuning box too, I have just sold mine to another member and I think the pedal box feels better without the tuning box.

Just my 2 cents worth
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 02 July 2016, 12:36 »
Not a GTI but I fitted a DTUK pedal box to my R (DSG) after 6 months bemoaning the poor initial throttle response especially for the first inch of pedal travel.  The standard throttle response is at its worst in D auto, with some slight improvement as you get up to S manual, but after several months I realised that the only thing that was going to significantly improve the response was fitting a pedal box.  IMO it does transform the throttle response and wakes it up.  The pedal box is highly customisable so there's a setting to suit varying styles of driving and driving situations.  It made driving the car a much more pleasurable experience.  From time to time I switch the pedal box off just to compare to standard  again, but after about half hour at most it gets switched back on again.  I would not go back to driving without it.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 02 July 2016, 13:05 »
I Have a pedal box and several others do. I really rate this upgrade. It really wake A up the car and makes it feel special with low to medium throttle input - the standard throttle has a nice weight and feel but for me lacks a response - it feels elastic in normal driving conditions I.e not full throttle caning the car, then it probably makes bugger all difference.

Best way I can describe it - the throttle response with the box reminds me of a 205 GTI I used to own. The throttle input and sensitivity is for me a major factor in the driving experience but each to their own. You get accustomed to everything though so you do not realise how bad the throttle response is until you take the pedal box off.

I would thoroughly recommend the box. As you mentioned the tuning box too, I have just sold mine to another member and I think the pedal box feels better without the tuning box.

Just my 2 cents worth

I hear you all calling  :grin:

I've quoted Paul's post as I agree 100% with what he said and couldn't have put it better myself.
And yes, I once owned a 205 GTI too so I'd have used the same analogy.

I drive with quite a light right foot and tend to use the car's torque rather than revving out so view the PedalBox as essential.

It just makes the car far more tactile and like an extension of you rather than feeling like you're sat in some overly sanitised machine that feels like it has 100 lb ft less torque than the published figures. Once the box is fitted suddenly the torque becomes so much more apparent.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner