Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 534868 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1390 on: 06 October 2017, 19:41 »
Wheels are looking excellent Watts. Sounds a very thorough job.  :cool:

Look forward to seeing the rest of it to match.  :laugh:

Dr Mike - that's a top job, looks superb and as Booth says, the finish does show off the effort :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1391 on: 06 October 2017, 19:52 »
Thank you - you're too kind.  As I said, at this time of year there's a certain smugness from knowing that the car is well protected against the elements.

The wheels are refreshingly easy to clean.  My previous two cars (Golf 2.0 Diesel and Honda S2000) both had wheels with multiple spokes which demanded much more effort to keep clean.  I used GTechniq C5 on them, which helped, and I'm trying Poorboys Wheel Glaze on the GTI.

One drive in the rain and it will look scruffy again.  I don't know how VW designers manage to produce Golfs which attract so much crap on the tailgate in wet weather.  You would think that they haven't got access to a wind tunnel.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1392 on: 06 October 2017, 20:55 »
Looks great Dr Mike. White is one of the more forgiving colours to maintain and if you are unfortunate enough to get any swirls on your paintwork, white hides them quite well.

It’s a good feeling, knowing your car’s well protected against the weather. I gave my car ‘the works’ a couple of weeks ago so it’s also well protected against the elements; there’s some quite impressive water beading on the paintwork when it rains, and weekly/fortnightly washing is currently a doddle as any dirt cleans off easily.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1393 on: 06 October 2017, 20:57 »
I don't know how VW designers manage to produce Golfs which attract so much crap on the tailgate in wet weather.  You would think that they haven't got access to a wind tunnel.

It's the VW gift that keeps on giving.  :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1394 on: 07 October 2017, 08:20 »
Looks great Dr Mike. White is one of the more forgiving colours to maintain and if you are unfortunate enough to get any swirls on your paintwork, white hides them quite well.

It’s a good feeling, knowing your car’s well protected against the weather. I gave my car ‘the works’ a couple of weeks ago so it’s also well protected against the elements; there’s some quite impressive water beading on the paintwork when it rains, and weekly/fortnightly washing is currently a doddle as any dirt cleans off easily.

The ease of washing the car after you've waxed it is an added bonus.  Inevitably the weather's carp, so the less time you have to spend faffing about with cold water in cold weather the better.

My nephew has installed a hot water outside tap at his new house.  Naturally I called him a pansy, but as winter looms I'm starting to accept that it might not be a bad idea.  My apartment block only has cold water available from the outside taps, and juggling with buckets of warm water in the lift or down two flights of stairs will probably not end well. 

Still, I would rather put up with the (minor) difficulties of washing my own car through the winter months than hand it over to any of the local "we'll scratch up your paintwork for £15" hand car wash establishments favoured by most of my neighbours.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1395 on: 12 October 2017, 18:50 »
Gave the engine bay a tidy up today plus the honeycomb front grill, used one of my new Wo-Wo brushes for the first time too :smiley: I must get out more :rolleyes: Anyway, not sure how appropriate it was but dressed the plastics with Poorboys Natural Look and they certainly looked good. First time the under bonnet area has had a clean :embarrassed: and couldn't be described as spotless now but a big improvement all the same :smiley: When pennies allow I might get the missing front engine cover as that area does look rather untidy, anyone know what the part number is?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1396 on: 12 October 2017, 21:01 »
Gave the engine bay a tidy up today plus the honeycomb front grill, used one of my new Wo-Wo brushes for the first time too :smiley: I must get out more :rolleyes: Anyway, not sure how appropriate it was but dressed the plastics with Poorboys Natural Look and they certainly looked good. First time the under bonnet area has had a clean :embarrassed: and couldn't be described as spotless now but a big improvement all the same :smiley: When pennies allow I might get the missing front engine cover as that area does look rather untidy, anyone know what the part number is?

Sounds a good job. Very satisfying doing the engine bay. Bet the PB Natural works well.  I like Aerospace 303 for engine bay.

Have a look at this r forum thread for lower engine cover. Part no is in first post.  I bought the cover ages ago from TPS but have still yet to fit it!

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/17640-mk7-golf-r-fitting-the-lower-engine-cover/
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1397 on: 12 October 2017, 21:33 »
Thanks for that :smiley:, looks straightforward (famous last words :rolleyes:) and would definitely tidy things up. On the list of things to buy/do.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #1398 on: 12 October 2017, 23:27 »
Thanks for that :smiley:, looks straightforward (famous last words :rolleyes:) and would definitely tidy things up. On the list of things to buy/do.
2 min job 👍
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1399 on: 13 October 2017, 09:55 »
2 min job 👍

Thanks, looks very easy but I have a well deserved reputation for impatience and ultimately breaking stuff, this has all the hallmarks for the potential of another example :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.