Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 539838 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1380 on: 06 October 2017, 17:12 »
Looks good Rebecca; nice flake pop too. How long does it normally take you to do a straightforward wash?

Is the Amarok next to get your treatment? :wink:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1381 on: 06 October 2017, 17:27 »
Looks good Rebecca; nice flake pop too. How long does it normally take you to do a straightforward wash?

Today it took an hour and half, from start to finish.

Nope!  HWMBO likes to do his own thing with his truck, which means letting the Eastern Europeans loose on it at the supermarket.  I have detailed it a couple of times but it's absolutely pointless. :rolleyes:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1382 on: 06 October 2017, 17:55 »
Booth, that's a mega result in 1.5 hours! :smiley: Reflections are stunning!

I only managed to clean my wheels today but gave them a really good going over. One at a time removed from the car, sprayed wheel and caliper in Bilberry wheel cleaner, cleaned caliper, rinsed wheel, washed in Gtechniq car wash, rinsed, dried and checked for finish (all 4 still felt very smooth after April's clay and polish, very pleased with that :smiley:), then sprayed with Gtechniq C2v3 and buffed off with Wo-Wo mf. Tyre dressed with FinishKare Top Kote and bolt caps washed and also treated with TK. Repeat x3. Really pleased at how well the wheels are holding up, there are marks here and there with a few minor kerbings but nothing that makes me want to rush into refurbing any time soon. Just the rest of the car to do now....

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1383 on: 06 October 2017, 18:23 »

Agree with Watts, that’s a fantastic result for an hour and a half’s effort. It normally takes me 2 - 2.5 hours to do a straightforward wash.

Nope!  HWMBO likes to do his own thing with his truck, which means letting the Eastern Europeans loose on it at the supermarket.  I have detailed it a couple of times but it's absolutely pointless. :rolleyes:

Ha ha! My brother hinted to me that it would be good if I gave his car ‘the works’ before the winter weather gets here. As he uses his local Eastern European hand car wash, I politely declined, as they’d just undo all my efforts in one or two washes.

@Watts; great effort on the wheels. I like the styling of the Santiago alloys, but don’t envy you the task of cleaning them as they’re quite a ‘busy’ design! Nice to see you’ve dressed the bolt caps too. The OCD in me would have to re-fit the centre cap on the wheel in the second picture though, so the bottom of the VW logo lines up with the tyre valve, like it does in the first picture :smiley:. I’d wait until you next have the wheels off though, so you can push the centre cap out from the back, rather than risk damaging the lacquered surface by trying to prise it out from the front.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1384 on: 06 October 2017, 18:37 »
@Watts; great effort on the wheels. I like the styling of the Santiago alloys, but don’t envy you the task of cleaning them as they’re quite a ‘busy’ design! Nice to see you’ve dressed the bolt caps too. The OCD in me would have to re-fit the centre cap on the wheel in the second picture though, so the bottom of the VW logo lines up with the tyre valve, like it does in the first picture :smiley:. I’d wait until you next have the wheels off though, so you can push the centre cap out from the back, rather than risk damaging the lacquered surface by trying to prise it out from the front.

Thanks :smiley: They are rather fiddly but I'm used to them now and when they're clean the looks are worth the extra effort. You've got me thinking about the centre caps now :rolleyes: :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1385 on: 06 October 2017, 18:42 »
Wheels are looking excellent Watts. Sounds a very thorough job.  :cool:

Look forward to seeing the rest of it to match.  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1386 on: 06 October 2017, 18:43 »

Agree with Watts, that’s a fantastic result for an hour and a half’s effort. It normally takes me 2 - 2.5 hours to do a straightforward wash.

Ha ha! My brother hinted to me that it would be good if I gave his car ‘the works’ before the winter weather gets here. As he uses his local Eastern European hand car wash, I politely declined, as they’d just undo all my efforts in one or two washes.

You should see the swirls on it!  Makes me want to tear my eyes out!   :grin:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1387 on: 06 October 2017, 18:48 »
Booth, that's a mega result in 1.5 hours! :smiley: Reflections are stunning!

Thanks both.   :smiley:  I have been known to turn it around in 45 mins, but today I took it leisurely.  :grin:  The addition of the post snow foam citrus pre wash stage extends the time a bit but not by much as it takes less time to do the bucket wash as not much left to do after the 2-stage pre wash.  Big pre winter detail in a couple weeks time. Full decon and single stage polish on the cards, plus the usual protection.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1388 on: 06 October 2017, 19:28 »
A couple of iPhone Q&D's from today, after I'd finished off the black trim parts:

White doesn't reward the effort put into polishing and waxing as well as other colours, but for me there's satisfaction in knowing that the paintwork, wheels and trim are all protected from the elements as the weather deteriorates.

The car is kept under cover, but my parking spaces are open at each end, and when the wind blows from certain directions it becomes a wind tunnel.  Good for keeping the car dry, not so good when the ambient temperature drops and I'm washing the car in what feels like an Arctic wind.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1389 on: 06 October 2017, 19:37 »
A couple of iPhone Q&D's from today, after I'd finished off the black trim parts:

White doesn't reward the effort put into polishing and waxing as well as other colours, but for me there's satisfaction in knowing that the paintwork, wheels and trim are all protected from the elements as the weather deteriorates.

The car is kept under cover, but my parking spaces are open at each end, and when the wind blows from certain directions it becomes a wind tunnel.  Good for keeping the car dry, not so good when the ambient temperature drops and I'm washing the car in what feels like an Arctic wind.

Looks excellent.  :cool:   All the colours reward the detailing effort, just in their own way.  You have great gloss on the white paintwork.  Wheels look great too. 
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual