Author Topic: GTD Tornado Red  (Read 29095 times)

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
Re: GTD Tornado Red
« Reply #70 on: 12 March 2017, 11:09 »
Yeah, mine just takes a couple of seconds to warm up the glowplugs after pressing the switch.

Thanks, one less thing to worry about. Last diesel I had, before the GTD's, we needed to wait for the glow plug to warm, so wanted to be sure! Things move on and get easier I guess.

How are you finding the overall drive of the GTD? We're on our second one in a month, as the tuther one had problems. Do you find things feel differently, as to when you first drove your beast? Ours felt very light on the steering and soft on the suspension when brand new, compared to the first one we had. Strange, feels like a different car, but then I guess it is, though it is still a GTD!? :undecided:

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #71 on: 12 March 2017, 16:33 »
It still feels very solid and direct. I occasionally drive the A6 (my wife uses it daily) and it has a completely different laid back character - softer, comfier, perhaps even sedate with the 190hp diesel and 7 speed automatic it has

If I take corners the speed I do in the GTD, there's noticeably more roll
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #72 on: 12 March 2017, 17:26 »
It still feels very solid and direct. I occasionally drive the A6 (my wife uses it daily) and it has a completely different laid back character - softer, comfier, perhaps even sedate with the 190hp diesel and 7 speed automatic it has

If I take corners the speed I do in the GTD, there's noticeably more roll

Same for me coming from a CC and even with the suspension set to the hardest setting there was more tool in it. Although even set to the hardest setting it was barely harder than the standard suspension in the GTD
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #73 on: 30 September 2017, 13:23 »
Redundancies are looming at work  :sad: , and I've not yet secured a new role that ticks the boxes that I want it to. Still have time on my side and several interesting opportunities are presenting themselves - just need to see if they are right for me - 50/50 at the moment whether I actually still want to stay  :grin:

Seeing as this is a company car, I'm thinking ahead just in case it goes back to the fleet pool in December (or earlier!), so this morning was spent swapping over number plates back to the original supplied ones. Removed the black mirror caps and Clubsport wheel caps last weekend to sell them on, and will stick my own winter wheels and tyres up for sale also

This has been a brilliant car , and one that if I lose my job, will be sad to see this go. Although I'll no doubt be given the opportunity to buy the car, I doubt the price will be that competitive compared to dealer prices out there so I'd rather not be lumbered with buying this, only to then have to sell it again if other jobs come up that have cars supplied as well

Another reason is it is just under 47k miles on the lock, so will probably be closer to 50k in December, so will need a full service and MOT in February as well - let the fleet company or the next buyer take the pain of the service costs at that point  :grin:

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #74 on: 06 October 2017, 14:54 »
Mine goes back in December and will be replaced by a BMW 330e M-Sport - its a benefit in kind thing... I can have the 330e with plenty of kit and still be paying less to the government than a base GTD. I did try a GTE... but the rear suspension, I found, was rock hard (to take account of the batteries, I guess). The 330e has a good combination of speed and refinement, which given my own car is a Jag XKR 5.0, will provide me with a very good daily driver...

It has been a fine car. It is now on 63K miles or so. It seems to be more willing to rev now and is certainly using less fuel. My overall average in 63,040 miles is 47.69 and I'm neither Larry Leadfoot nor Driving Miss Daisy.

It still looks good, there are signs of the lacquer breaking down on a couple of the wheels, the interior is still solid with no rattles or squeaks.

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #75 on: 30 November 2017, 19:42 »
Well, the car goes back to the fleet company tomorrow at just under 49k miles, and I finish up at work on the 11th before redundancy kicks in, so will take the train for my last week  :cry: :grin:

I've verbally accepted a new role already with another employer (hoping to start in January 2018  :cool: ) and a company car option is there with the new job - just need to find out what the options are once I get the contract papers to sign, and plan to get a wee temporary runaround to keep me mobile until a new car arrives.

I can genuinely say that this has been one of the most capable cars I've "owned" in a long time, and I'd happily have another Mk7 Golf or GTD. I'll have to closely look at the hybrid options that are out there for tax purposes however - maybe after a total of 21 VW and Audi cars, it could be time to try the dark side of BMW for a change  :grin:

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #76 on: 02 December 2017, 12:49 »
Well, the car goes back to the fleet company tomorrow at just under 49k miles, and I finish up at work on the 11th before redundancy kicks in, so will take the train for my last week  :cry: :grin:

I've verbally accepted a new role already with another employer (hoping to start in January 2018  :cool: ) and a company car option is there with the new job - just need to find out what the options are once I get the contract papers to sign, and plan to get a wee temporary runaround to keep me mobile until a new car arrives.

I can genuinely say that this has been one of the most capable cars I've "owned" in a long time, and I'd happily have another Mk7 Golf or GTD. I'll have to closely look at the hybrid options that are out there for tax purposes however - maybe after a total of 21 VW and Audi cars, it could be time to try the dark side of BMW for a change  :grin:

Redundancy just before Christmas, f**k me that is not good timing. At least you have another job lined up.

Have to agree with you about the GTD being a very competent car especially with a little extra power.

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #77 on: 02 December 2017, 13:48 »
Dead right....not ideal timing, but after 9 years, at least I get a nice redundancy payout to lob straight into the bank, get a few extra weeks off over Christmas, and start a new job in January that I can get a bit excited about and start perving over the company car options when the paper contract arrives next week (chased it up yesterday  :grin: )

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #78 on: 03 December 2017, 16:38 »
Dead right....not ideal timing, but after 9 years, at least I get a nice redundancy payout to lob straight into the bank, get a few extra weeks off over Christmas, and start a new job in January that I can get a bit excited about and start perving over the company car options when the paper contract arrives next week (chased it up yesterday  :grin: )

Every cloud I suppose.