Author Topic: Jay's V5 Passat  (Read 35593 times)

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
Re: Jay's V5 Passat
« Reply #90 on: 27 March 2012, 20:43 »
So after seeing the aftermath of a car vs young girl on a push bike this morning outside my place on the main road I took it easy on the way into work and home, that coupled with constant moving, but slower than normal traffic yielded this without trying :shocked: It did include some swift over taking on some dual carriage ways too!

It actually got to 34.3 at one point, then got caught at a set of traffic lights 5 mins from home and it dropped. and yes I know it needs a dusting, I'm still waiting on a price from Mr Tona to sort some scratches out.

Tim, have you got any pics of the brushed metal effect you get from rubbing down the trim? Most of the images I'm finding are MK4 R32 trims, I assume it's roughly the same in look to the DIY stuff?
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #91 on: 28 March 2012, 15:44 »
http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/385376.aspx

Have a read through there. Or google sanding net optic trim. Haven't tried it myself.

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #92 on: 28 March 2012, 21:11 »
That looks alright sanded down, now only to get some time to do that  :laugh:

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #93 on: 09 April 2012, 17:44 »
Going to start on sanding the crap back on the trim this evening and will pick up some lacquer tomorrow to protect it.

I really wasn't in the mood for a fast drive last night, so thought I'd play the MPG game while listening to some good tunes while being Mr Taxi.

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #94 on: 10 April 2012, 23:27 »
Didn't get round to doing the trim after all last night :embarassed:

But this afternoon whilst giving her a clean, I took out the Nokia cradle that was in there and am now thinking of how I'm going to put my phone's dock on the metal mounting plate that is still there - it may require a little fab work to either the current dock or the mounting plate though.

Other plans are to add in the ISOFIX brackets for the car seats as it's a PITA getting them in and out as often as I have to.

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #95 on: 12 April 2012, 18:18 »
No going back now  :undecided:

Not bad  :cool: Still needs a bit of touching up to make it perfect.

Now to pop out the rest of the trim and get sanding, I used 150 to get the majority off & 400 grit to smooth it down.

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #96 on: 12 April 2012, 19:52 »
:afro:

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #97 on: 12 April 2012, 20:24 »

Looking for a guide on how to remove the rest of the trim in a Passat, found one for a left hooker Golf... assuming it's a similar process I might get this done in the next 6 months  :laugh:

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #98 on: 12 April 2012, 21:59 »
If you find a guide on removing the rest let me know as I really want to change my wood from brown to ebony black (I stripped my old ssat but can't remember how it all came apart!)

b.t.w You can't be driving right...I still get under 30mpg on mine (ok it's turdo but still!)
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #99 on: 12 April 2012, 23:59 »
Will let you know if I find a 'sat guide. It can't be that different to a Golf 4 left hooker can it ? :lipsrsealed:

That 38MPG was a one off, using 5th in 30 & 50 zones on a 12 mile drive, my average is 27MPG on trip comp 2 since I last reset it.

I've still got to clean up the head light as per your guide on UKP, the problem is when I have free time it's always bloody raining!