Author Topic: How to: Build 17cm Door pods for a mk2  (Read 25900 times)

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
How to: Build 17cm Door pods for a mk2
« on: 28 April 2005, 21:29 »
Right boys and girls!

Here's how I built door pods to house 17cm speakers in the front of my mk2. Since I have put a mk3 dash in mine I have to watch out they don't fowl the dash (like the last attempt did!)

first of all cut 2 rings out of MDF. the thicker the better. I used some 18mm as that will give a good base to screw the speaker to. After all we want the best bass possible in the front of the car as we can get out of a 17cm speaker. You don't have to cut a perfect circle as this will mostly be covered with fibreglass, but try and get it less like a 50p and more rounded  :wink:

the original plan was to screw the MDF straight to the pocket and cover it until I shut the passenger door and couldn't open my lower glovebox. Back to the drawning board then!

I wanted to sink the original MDF ring into the standard pocket and aim it slightly up into the car to carry the midrange skyward in the hope it'll sound better. After I'd drawn round where the MDF ring sat on the pocket I attacked it with the power file. If anyone doesn't know what one of these is think of a chainsaw with a belt of sand paper instead of a chain. This is a awesome power tool and useful for so many things. Using this I took to enlarging the hole to sink the MDF ring in. After a while and a few trial and errors I managed to get the ring in there perfectly. I then secured the ring with the gluegun so it wouldn't move at all and I could also use the pocket until I get around to fibreglassing it over and smooth all those ridges and gaps out. Once I've done that I'll cover it with the same carpet as I did the boot and hopefully have some decent door builds  :cool:

You can see how much I've sunk the MDF ring into the pod here.

to be continued...
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
Re: How to: Build 17cm Door pods for a mk2
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2005, 21:42 »
lookin good Diz  :cool:

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2005, 14:06 »
Instead of carpet - why not get some black vinyl, like i did on my 6x9 door pods! (In the 405 Mi16)
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2005, 19:47 »
that's now the plan. I want to cover the dash in alcantara eventually so the pods will look better in vinyl than carpet.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline j_s

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2005, 15:33 »
This is my first proper post here :)

I am intending to do exactly the same thing as you dizzie (I picked up my 5 door 8v GTI last week)
What I wanted to know is it possible to get the whole pocket that runs along the bottom of the doorcard so when I sell the car
I can take the old hacked up/fg'ed pocket off and put a nice shiny one on?

James

kingsmk2

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2005, 17:24 »
the way most people go is order from www.audioscape.co.uk nut they are fookin expensive and not actually that hard to make so have a bash....

Offline j_s

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2005, 17:30 »
Thanks Kings, that is my intention which is why I want a back up plan in case I mess up :D
Having a spare set of complete pockets will give me more confidence, I also have a ton of help over on talkaudio.

There is no way i'm spending £180 on the audioscape ones!
James

Offline GolfGTiMk216LoveIT

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2005, 17:47 »
where would i get the vinal to do this to my door cards???? :huh:

Offline mk2singh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2006, 18:27 »
near enuf finished mine jus need material to cover them with  :smiley:
 http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=34211.0

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2006, 11:05 »
where would i get the vinal to do this to my door cards???? :huh:

upholsters sell it and it's quite cheap. can't remember what I paid last time sorry
Mk4 Golf 150PD