Author Topic: How to: Run your iPod through you car speakers  (Read 70299 times)

Offline bampotman

• Not said much yet
Re: How to: Run your iPod through you car speakers
« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2005, 07:27 »
I have an itrip for my ipod but the interference is bad unless the ipod is very close to the head unit so i'm gonna connect it through the AUX connections on the back of the headunit.

Also have an iclick remote control. This can be mounted of the steering wheel (kit provided) and it sends an IF signal to control the ipod. Not the best solution but makes it a whole lot easier flicking through tracks and only costs about £20 from ebay

Offline steviem

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 12 December 2005, 15:52 »
I just got the KCA-420i for my mark two. Found the perfect place to mount it, too, took out the centre console, cut a hole big enough for the ipod wire to go through,  (but not fall through) and stuck the silver box inside the centre console.
Also put 2 5" speakers in the sides of the centre console, looks almost factory fitted...

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #12 on: 21 December 2005, 14:26 »
Hi all, just got an mp3 player, if i just got a lead with the standard mini jack one end and rca conectors on the other end, can i just plug this into Aux on the back of my panasonic head unit?

Cheers
My 89 16v  /  Essential golf links

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

• I live here
  • At my age I don't have to act responsibly...
« Reply #13 on: 21 December 2005, 14:32 »
Hi all, just got an mp3 player, if i just got a lead with the standard mini jack one end and rca conectors on the other end, can i just plug this into Aux on the back of my panasonic head unit?

Cheers

Don't see any reason why that wouldn't work  :kiss:

"Ever since I started to surf, I have realized that golf is for people who don't know how to surf."  -- Tiger Woods.

my dub project:-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35338.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEUOoH_xxo

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #14 on: 21 December 2005, 14:50 »
Cheers, it's just the same as i have on my pc to my stereo! should do the job :)

EDIT:

I just tried this and it did not work, the connection on the back says: "cd,c - in" whicj i guess is for a cd changer, is there a way i can my mp3 player to work? do i need something else connected?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 24 December 2005, 13:20 by Deefadog »
My 89 16v  /  Essential golf links

Offline roverspeed

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 26 March 2006, 23:19 »
be aware that some head units will only have aux out for connecting to amps etc that cannot act as inputs,

if there is a cd changer input, most large manufacturers will do conversion cables to take conventional sources like ipods, zens and the like, for sound only, but no control.

Offline wlscullion

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 01 June 2006, 15:48 »
Pleased to report VW now have a device which can be fitted by main dealers which connects iPod to VW radio/CD units. I had mine fitted and works a treat. Press CD button on main unit once for CD and twice for iPod. Buttons for 6 CDs then give first 5 Playlists on iPod and 6th button entire iPod list. Mix button on main unit can be used to play tracks randomly within Playlist. I have multi-function steering wheel and controls on steering wheel can be used to change volume change tracks or mute sound on iPod or switch to CD or Radio . All controls on iPod are non functioning while connected to car. ie must use controls on radio/cd unit or multifunction steering wheel. Only slight negative is it is slightly harder to find specific tracks than when using iPod on its own but i prefer to choose a playlist then put it on mix to listen to tracks randomly. Cost is around 150 Pounds fitted but not sure as I paid  less as I know guy in parts dept and got staff discount. I would certainly recommend it . iPod does not sit in specific 'cradle' but merely plugs in to connection at end of wire which can be inside glove compartment or just above ashtray as I have (in my Mark 5 Golf GTI). Would certainly recommend it to others. Sounds as good as CD to my ears

Offline wlscullion

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 01 June 2006, 15:57 »
Regards my post earlier today , forgot to mention iPod also gets charged while radio/CD unit is swiched on

Offline [han]

• I live here
  • Graphic Designer for Haribo
« Reply #18 on: 15 July 2006, 21:12 »
i have a head unit with CD changer compatibility, so via my cd changer input i have an aux in at the front t play direct to ipod/mp3/minidisc and via the back of the unit i have paid £30 (i got mine with discount on that price) for the lead that will play and chrge my ipod via the rear of my unit via a discreet cble which i have threaded through the side of centre console unde tray in my mk2. I am plnning to thread the lead through the centre console to be more discreet when i get chance to make the hole a little bit larger.

model - JVC KD-G521 stereo and Connects2 / Autoleads leads!

Offline Golf GIT

• Not said much yet
  • Mk2 Golf GTI 8V '91 LONDON
« Reply #19 on: 02 August 2006, 19:57 »
This is somethig I've been looking into recently so I thought I'd give an update. Most of the big brand car audio companies now make iPod interfaces that will plug into the cd changer input on the back of your stereo and then into your iPod. As mentioned previously this allows you to control the ipod from the head unit as long as the unit supports CD Text. It also charges the iPod.

Brands I have come across that offer the iPod interface include Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC and Sony.

Here's a link for a website that offers all of these at the best prices I've found (and no, I don't work for them!)

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product_list/c_path/286_296/spd/ipod-to-stereo-interfaces.html

Many of you will know all this but hope its useful to someone,
cheers