Author Topic: How to: Run your iPod through you car speakers  (Read 70296 times)

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
How to: Run your iPod through you car speakers
« on: 06 April 2005, 17:30 »
Just to give people some clue as what the options are here's my little how to. The iPod interface connects through the CD changer input on your headunit and all allow you to control the functions through your headunit. So far Alpine and Kenwood are the only 2 to make the interface, but others plan to follow later in the year.

Alpine Route...
Unit needed: KCA-420i
Approx Cost: £79.99

Kenwood Route...
Unit needed:KCA-ip500
Approx Cost: £99.99

Universal route 1:
You can always run your iPod into the AUX input on your headunit, but you still have to control the functions from the iPod. There are many ways of doing this if your headunit accepts AUX connections. Go really old skool with the tape with the wire that we all used back in the day of using a discman on the dash  :grin:

Universal route 2:
FM Modulator. This is a small box that the iPod would connect to. it broadcasts a mini radio station that you tune the headunit into. These are only about £40, but suffer from the normal interfearance the radio does. there are more expensive didgital ones that are a lot better, but cost in the region of £100.

Hope this expains a few things guys.
« Last Edit: 06 April 2005, 17:40 by Dizzie »
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline wlscullion

• Not said much yet
Re: How to: Run your iPod through you car speakers
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2005, 19:59 »
Do you know if the upgrade unit for the Mark 5 GTI , RCD 500 ( the one with the built in 6 disc autochanger  in the dash) has an AUX input to play an iPod through . I think it must have something like this cos VW list an MP3 player as an optional extra (very expensive ) and I would imagine there must be some input port to connect this to the main audio unit so surely it should be possible to connect an iPOD via the same port. I have heard the Radio signal units often give poor quality sound , not sure about digital ones.
I would be very interested if anyone has any info on this and if such a connection cable exists where I could Buy one. Various iPod accessory sites incl. official iPOD site do not list such a connection

Offline adyh

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2005, 11:52 »
I had trouble with the Itrip with my Mk3  . I couldnt pick up a signal from it at all . I think the position is the issue .

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2005, 12:43 »
My Mk2 has an 'old skool' erm 'period feature' FM Radio/Tape player!
But my phone plays mp3s. So I bought a headphone adapter for the phone £1 and a universal tape adapter for the headunit £2.99. Bingo! 512mb of mp3s in the car!

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline Nickyb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2005, 12:48 »
Hiya guys

I work for a Car Audio company in Weston Super Mare, here are a few more pointers.

1) The mk5 Golf has the Delta 6 double din head unit or the RCD300, you can buy an i-Pod interface that will plug directly into the back of the head unit and will control the i-Pod directly from the head unit. You can also buy an in car cradle to mount the i-Pod.
See www.connects2.com and www.uplands.co.uk

2) An AUX input adaptor would work but you will still need to select the tracks from the i-Pod and its not as nice as the above option which is full control from the head unit.

3) Pioneer also now do an i-Pod interface CDIB100 which will work on all P-Bus head units

Hope thats helpfull :smiley:

Offline spacedog

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2005, 12:42 »
Hi,

I have just got a Golf MK4 GTI and am starting to think about how to attach my IPOD to the stereo. 

In my old cars I have used a tape adapter and a iTrip.  The iTrip is OK is you are only doing short distances but I tend to drive the lenght of the country a lot so I have to retune every so often to keep interference from other radio stations to a minimum.

I haven't done a lot of digging around on this yet but I think the standard stereo in the Golf is a Blaupunkt unit.  Which may be able to take a Blaupunkt AUX lead directly into the back.  eg: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2191&cadid=3ff97c6726706c8a257de41b3794afc1 or if that doesn't work http://makeashorterlink.com/?A4C123DAB

I am prepaired for people to shout me down on this, but it would be a very easy and cheep solution.  I know that it isn't as an elegent solution as the fully integrated ones but it would be a fraction of the price.

Any comments on if this will work or not?

Offline spacedog

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2005, 12:45 »
One tip I do have for iTrip users is to unscrew your external areal.  I know that is a pain if you want to listen to radio but it does seem to cut down on interference.

Offline bugbits

• Not said much yet
  • Aircooled airhead
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2005, 22:21 »
Just wired my creative zen jukebox up to my head unit via a 3.5mm jack plug - RCA lead, via the line out front connection.

All controls are from the mp3 player inc volume, but not a bad method for a fiver!!

ello ma

Sugar79

« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2005, 17:04 »
i use a tape adapter for my ipod too.. works a treat  :cool:

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

• I live here
  • At my age I don't have to act responsibly...
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2005, 15:57 »
Not strictly for an i-pod but i just got an audio connector from my pioneer - it does the same as the thing as the CD-RB20 but it didn't cost any where near pioneers crazy £70 price tag, it was £20 from Car Audio & Security on Totttenham Court Rd  :grin:

it looks just like this  :kiss:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/logjam/piepioprca.html

"Ever since I started to surf, I have realized that golf is for people who don't know how to surf."  -- Tiger Woods.

my dub project:-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35338.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEUOoH_xxo