Author Topic: spray painting?  (Read 8127 times)

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
spray painting?
« on: 15 April 2010, 14:41 »
Right ive done a bit of spraying in the workshop but never on my car.

Im wanting to spray my front grill black but no sure how to?

Do i sand paper down and take the yellow paint off then prime, paint and lacquer?
Or do i just prime over the top of the old paint and then paint and lacquer?

help please  :undecided:

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

Offline adzgti3

• I live here
Re: spray painting?
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2010, 22:45 »
Well ive done a faith few bits for my mk3.

Well I first use white spirt to clean anything polish ect on it.

Then using sand paper key the surface of the paint (sand paper has to be slight corse but too corse or you mite find some deep scratches)
Then wipe away with a lint free cloth to get rid of any dust ect , then spray on the primer , doesnt have to heavy just enough so the paint can stick to it.

Then when that dry , rub it down slighty as prob be abit rough , so before you add your first coat of paint make sure the surface is faithly smooth. ( when sanding down after each paint coat use a sand paper that not rough faithly smooth , somthing like p1000)
Then add three coats of your selected paint, rubbing down after each coat.

Then you can add clear laquer after the final coat of paint is added and dryed (no need to rub it down)

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: 15 April 2010, 22:48 by adzgti3 »

Offline FOREST GREEN

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2010, 10:08 »
1. Take grill off car.
2. Rub grill down with some fine wet/dry paper (800-1200 grit) it needs a good key ALL over
3. Clean the surface thoroughly with Pre=paint/thinners etc
4. Primer (white/red/grey) depending on your final colour. 3 coats of primer, leaving around 1/2hr between each coat.
5. Colour, again 3 coats with a good 1/2hr between each coat
5. Clear lacquer, You can never have too many coats of lacquer, but again, at least 3, but in an ideal world, the lacquer should go on 24hrs AFTER the last coat of colour, to allow the colour to harden properly. As its a small area, you would get away with doing the sanding/cleaning/primer/colour in the morning, and leaving to harden, then put the lacquer on in the evening.
6. Put the grill back on :laugh:

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2010, 23:29 »
cheers for the advice guys  :smiley:

Ive just started with spraying my interior mirror to see how i manage, will add pics to my project page  :cool:

Cheers again!

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2010, 19:42 »
getting the spraying of my front grill done  :smiley:
really pleased with the way its coming out  :smiley: should have the painting done in about half an hour then i'll apply lacquer either tonight when i get in or tomorrow morning  :smiley:

Btw how long does the lacquer normally take to harden?

Offline Tom4388

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2010, 21:16 »
Not to long, I painted an early vento grill and badge for my mk3 the other day but i did it outside in the sun so that might have dried it quiker.

when your doin the lacquer do lots of light coats i've done a few grills and the first time i tried it put too much lacquer on and it turned out sh!te so i had to redo it all.

patience is the key

good luck

Offline 6foot6

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2010, 22:11 »
ive just sprayed my whole car.

Just take it off and whack it on a bench, wash it , dry it, use a Green scrubber that you use to do the dishes to key it, wash and dry it again.

Halfords primer , spray that on using using back and forth motions - stop spraying at the the end of each pass and re-start when you go back the other way.

Wait for the primer to dry and then spray the same with the colour spray paint using smooth strokes.

Golf GTi 8v Alpine white - Project track shlag - TLC needed - KnN/Scorpien full system oval tail pipe, rust here and there.
1991 Toyota MR2 MK Revision 1 Turbo, rev 3 LSD, CT20b Turbo, HKS Exhaust, Blitz Downpipe 244HP@the wheels @ 13psi - 12.9 SQM :D
1994 BMW 730 V8 fully loaded 220BHP

Offline FOREST GREEN

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2010, 13:35 »
Jesus 6foot6..........you don't do things by halves do you :shocked:

Offline MK3GTI_16Valve

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2010, 10:55 »
I've always wondered what kind of finish you'd get if you sprayed the entire car with rattle cans but this is the first time ive seen pics of a car thats had it done

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2010, 00:48 »
6foot6, nice one. I've painted a transit in rattle cans, that was a mission :grin:

I've always wondered what kind of finish you'd get if you sprayed the entire car with rattle cans but this is the first time ive seen pics of a car thats had it done

It's done fair bit here's another thread

http://scottishvag.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=51894&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=ghetto&start=125

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.