Author Topic: Mk7 Sat Nav retrofit  (Read 3900 times)

Offline McBreadhead

• Not said much yet
Mk7 Sat Nav retrofit
« on: 18 February 2019, 13:37 »
I am wavering over a 2016 R that was first registered 080316 but which sadly appears NOT to have Sat Nav capability built in (so App Connect cannot be retrofitted). This is frustrating as it means it was probably built before Oct 2015 when the MIB2 head unit was introduced (thanks Guzzle for your info here).

Dealer is proposing to install a Kenwood system with an SD card update facility for £450 which they say will be accessed through the original 6.5” display via the Nav button to provide a seamless interface.

Has anyone done this mod and does it perform well or have any advantages over the VW system? Conscious aftermarket fits like these often never deliver what they promise!

Thanks in advance.
McB

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk7 Sat Nav retrofit
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2019, 16:50 »
IMHO.... horrible nasty retro thing.

Lots of problems with TMC traffic reception (not that TMC is effective in the UK anyway), clunky thing that doesn't integrate with the MFD (between the clocks).

Somewhere else on here there was someone talking about being able to retro-fit OEM VW nav units, but I've never heard of anyone having it done successfully.

I'd not touch the Kenwood with a bargepole though, get a tomtom or a phone mount and use your phone...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2019, 19:18 »
I am wavering over a 2016 R that was first registered 080316 but which sadly appears NOT to have Sat Nav capability built in (so App Connect cannot be retrofitted). This is frustrating as it means it was probably built before Oct 2015 when the MIB2 head unit was introduced (thanks Guzzle for your info here).

Dealer is proposing to install a Kenwood system with an SD card update facility for £450 which they say will be accessed through the original 6.5” display via the Nav button to provide a seamless interface.

Has anyone done this mod and does it perform well or have any advantages over the VW system? Conscious aftermarket fits like these often never deliver what they promise!

Thanks in advance.
McB

Just to be clear, MIB2 units were fitted to cars built after week 22 2015, so a car built end of May 2015 onwards should have an MIB2 unit fitted.

Having App Connect isn't dependent on having factory sat nav, it is dependent on having an MIB2 or later head unit. These can be determined by the 6.5 inch screen, as opposed to the 5.8 inch screen on MIB1.

If in doubt, get the dealer to email you a photo of the head unit and post it up on here.

Having App Connect will allow you to use Google Maps, which has to be preferable to the Kenwood retrofit option.
7.5 GTD

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2019, 19:25 »
Try searching Facebook for VW Retrofits. He retro fits mib 2 units and AID into mk7 golfs. Always seems to get good reviews although I've never used him myself. Also activates app connect too.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline McBreadhead

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2019, 21:10 »
VW Retrofit based in Redditch? I will check em out, ta

Offline McBreadhead

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2019, 19:12 »

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2019, 22:07 »
I believe Alex @ VW Retrofits in Redditch can also retrofit genuine VW sat nav units.
But likely 650 won't cover the parts required.
If you do want to go down retrofit route of a genuine UK/EU sat nav I can only recommend him. There may be Chinese VW head units that will fit the mk7 which are cheaper but usually don't have DAB and not full FM band (I looked into one for my Mrs mk6 but since we then decided to go and live in Germany I didn't buy one).
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2019, 06:13 »
There's your answer then. Save yourself the bother and go and live in Germany. Hang on, that would only work if you already knew your way around Germany.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2019, 18:14 »
 :grin:
Just wouldn't have made sense to the Mrs to take our RHD car to Germany. I tried to convince her but she wouldn't have any of it.... now she drives a 90hp Fiat Bravo   :laugh:

You can get component protection free CM units for the mk7 from China (genuine VW ones), there's almost certainly be ones with Nav as well that completely integrate into the mk7.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles