Author Topic: DAB antenna retrofit  (Read 43093 times)

Offline abh100

• Not said much yet
DAB antenna retrofit
« on: 16 September 2012, 21:09 »
Has anyone retrofitted a DAB antenna into a Mk6 Golf that didn't come with the DAB option?

I know there are a couple of window-mounted antennas you can fit which some people seem unimpressed with. However when I looked at the third diagram on this website it looked like I just need to extend the existing tailgate capability (out of the 'left aerial module -R108'):
http://www.my-gti.com/2742/aerial-information-for-volkswagen-golf-mark-vi

So I'm wondering, would this retrofit module work?
http://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/Retrofit-kit-DAB-/-DAB-antenna-module

Anybody got any thoughts?

I had DAB on my previous car and miss it, so have fitted an RCD510 with DAB support, but don't have a second antenna cable ready to plug into it.
Mk6 GTi, 5dr, Manual, '61, Black, Leather, Ross-Tech VCDS MicroCAN/USB, RCD510+BT

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
Re: DAB antenna retrofit
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2012, 21:50 »
the module is simply an ariel:

"* ONLY SUITABLE FOR RADIO / NAVIGATION SYSTEMS WITH INTEGRATED DAB MODULE (BLACK FAKRA CONNECTOR)"

Offline abh100

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2012, 16:30 »
Well the RCD510 head unit I have is DAB capable, so that's all I need isn't it?  I have an empty DAB antenna-in socket on the back of the RCD510.

So it looks like it works in combination with the existing tailgate aerial do you think?
Mk6 GTi, 5dr, Manual, '61, Black, Leather, Ross-Tech VCDS MicroCAN/USB, RCD510+BT

Offline abh100

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2012, 16:36 »
(I've asked that website for more info/fitting instructions)

Offline abh100

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2012, 10:34 »
The suppliers of that module say:

"Thank you for your request.

1. It"s for a dab-supported RNS
2. You must fix it in the hatch
3. It will not work in the dash, because the wires of the heated window are required."

Which is odd as I thought that (a) RNS doesn't support DAB, and (b) my RCD510 does.  Still confused.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2012, 12:46 »
From the sound of it it used the screen wires in the back window as an ariel. So needs to be mounted at the rear of the car. (Im guessing you asked about mounting it under the dash by thier responce) It sounds like it works with anything that needs that plug type ie RCD510DAB RCD310DAB and the rumoured RNS510DAB.
Sounds quite interesting but its not cheap.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2012, 08:59 »
Well the RCD510 head unit I have is DAB capable, so that's all I need isn't it?  I have an empty DAB antenna-in socket on the back of the RCD510.

So it looks like it works in combination with the existing tailgate aerial do you think?

Lucky you ;-) I'd buy it and see how you get on - I'd be surprised if VW do different rear screens

Offline abh100

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2013, 21:09 »
So I fitted the on-screen "Kenwood DAB A1" DAB antenna the other day - either I fitted it wrong or it's just not very good - can't get anything off of it.

Guess I'll have to give the tailgate one a go...

Offline abh100

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2013, 16:51 »
Just a follow-up to my last message - it turns out I had a 'special' moment and the window antenna of the Kenwood wasn't correctly located on the booster/base.  It now is and I have got all of my DAB channels so am quite happy now!

The antenna was quite easy to fit - especially as I was fitting the bluetooth kit at the same time (so had all the trim off for fitting the microphone in the roof above the rear-view mirror).

So I won't be trying the tailgate part after all - happy with this windscreen-based solution.

Offline JMcQueen

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2013, 12:25 »
Sorry to necro the thread but I've just bought the Kenwood DAB aerial to use with a RCD 510 and cant get the aerial to connect with the head unit. It looks like the connection is correct but the plastic surround on the RCD prevents it from connecting. Did you have this problem or am I doing it wrong?