Author Topic: 17cm Component set recommendations?  (Read 1929 times)

Offline V_Arse6

• GTI forum regular
17cm Component set recommendations?
« on: 12 July 2006, 17:29 »
Hmm..  Decided I want better sound (of course)..  But am on a bit of a budget of course, so all  I want to do for now is get a half-decent component set that'll be a straight swap for the original door speakers/tweeters in the front of my Mk3 Golf. 

currently I've replaced the tweeters with some 4" sonys (not tweeters, just normal), and the door speakers with some Vibe 5" Bass ones (using a bit of MDF) which I've got on loan from a friend.  I've throw together some temporary covers just to hide the Vibes from prying eyes (the Sonys fit under the original mesh things), but they don't bear up to close inspection, and I'd really rather keep it all looking as stock as possible.  due to the MDF I can't fit the original covers on...

It sounds... OK at the mo, but it suffers because of course I can't independantly adjust the levels of the two sets of speakers - I could mount the Vibes in the rear, but have decided to just get some straight swap ones, as I can't be arsed to fiddle with yet more MDF again :rolleyes:

At some point in the future I'll get an Amp, and possibly (probably) a sub for the boot, but for now I'd just like to run them off the HU.  A mate's got a complete infinity setup (components up front, sub and Amp in the boot) which sounds pretty nice, but I was wondering what people would recommend in the £40 - £80 range.  I think his infinitys where about £80, but he bought them from some back-of-a-magazine company so I could probably find them cheaper online somewhere... :evil:

Oh, the HU is an Alpine 9847R MP3 unit.  (45wattx4).  I'm quite happy with it.

Thanks just for reading that, but many more thanks for any responses :smiley:

'95 Mk3 VR6
FK Highsports, Crystal Clear Fogs/Indicators/Repeaters, Mk4 Style Headlights, PiperX induction, Bonnet lifters. (Need to update pic for new headlights)

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline V_Arse6

• GTI forum regular
Re: 17cm Component set recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2006, 14:38 »
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product.asp?product=20255
Nice succint advice there, thanks  :laugh:...  I'm correct in assuming they'll fit perfectly in the existing door pods aren't I?

Cheers for the reply. :smiley:

'95 Mk3 VR6
FK Highsports, Crystal Clear Fogs/Indicators/Repeaters, Mk4 Style Headlights, PiperX induction, Bonnet lifters. (Need to update pic for new headlights)

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2006, 19:41 »
teehee. thought you wanted a reconmendation :D

Of course. Not just a pretty face ;)
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline stoo

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2006, 15:31 »
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product.asp?product=20255

and nearly half the price that halfrauds are punting em out for  :shocked:

I'm in a similar situation to ChipDeath - my pleb spec mk3 TD CL has a seemingly half decent aftermarket head unit in, but the stock speakers are sounding pretty tired.

I don't really want to mess around with subs or parcel shelf mounted speakers, as don't want to lose the ability to drop the seats and carry big(ish) stuff in the back.

What's the best way to mount the crossover & tweeters with those alpines?

Tweeters in the doors near the mids, or in the dash mounts?

If you use the dash mounts, do you still use the crossover, but have nowt connected to the tweeter output of the crossover?

Or have the crossover in with the tweeter in the dash mounts, and then run a separate wire from there to the mids in the doors?

Or am I just missing the really obvious, simple and elegant solution?  :embarassed:

Cheers in advance (do I need to get the virtual beers in, seeing as this is my first post?)

stoo :)

Offline V_Arse6

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2006, 11:27 »
What's the best way to mount the crossover & tweeters with those alpines?

Tweeters in the doors near the mids, or in the dash mounts?

If you use the dash mounts, do you still use the crossover, but have nowt connected to the tweeter output of the crossover?

Or have the crossover in with the tweeter in the dash mounts, and then run a separate wire from there to the mids in the doors?

The current (dash) tweeter units have a built-in high filter, so removing the unit removes the existing 'crossover'.  the actual wiring goes to the dash mounting points, then from there down into the doors.  If you remove the tweeters you'll see they have two connections plugged in, but if you look carefully at the sockets they plug into you'll see one connector is simply passing directly through to the other one - in other words the speakers (dash and door) are wired in parallel. 

The way I'm hoping to do mine (as I've now ordered those Alpines  :smiley:) is to run the wire that's coming from the HU into a crossover somewhere hidden in the dash under the tweeter (not sure if there'll be room  :undecided: ), wire the tweeter into the high output and then replace the cable that goes down into the door with some decent speaker wire that's wired into the low outputs of the crossover.  This effectively replaces the original wiring on a 'like-for-like' basis, and I'll hopefully leave it looking completely stock, so no thieving sh!ts will see anything worth having :wink:

My main concern with having the tweeters elsewhere is that it then becomes obvious that you have an aftermarket component system - odds are it'll be well worth a brick through the window... :sad:

Cheers in advance (do I need to get the virtual beers in, seeing as this is my first post?)
In this weather, hell yeah. :evil:

'95 Mk3 VR6

Offline stoo

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2006, 23:12 »
Cool - cheers.

After reading up a bit more here and on talkaudio, the general consensus of opinion is that an amp would be a wise move with comps, and got bit carried away when ordering & ended up going for SPR-17LS comps and an MRV-T320 amp. Didn't mean to go for the SPR-17LS instead of the SPS-171A's - just clicked "buy" from the wrong browser window. :embarassed:

Might look into hiding the amp under the passenger seat, or in the boot where the first aid kit was meant to be or something. Deffo with you on not keeping any of it on show if at all possible though.

Offline V_Arse6

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2006, 09:27 »
An Amp is definitely a better option, but Having an Amp in the boot means a helluva lot more wire :evil: You have to wire from the HU all the way into the boot, then from the amp all the way back to the speakers in the front...

I'll pick up an Amp and a sub together at some point in the future..  Still waiting for my speakers tho :sad:

'95 Mk3 VR6