Author Topic: Christening Help! Tomorrow! :O  (Read 2790 times)

Offline TheRaven

• I live here
  • "I am female, I think the boobs are a giveaway..."
Christening Help! Tomorrow! :O
« on: 23 October 2010, 21:44 »
Ok, my friend has asked me to photograph her little boys christening tomorrow and I've never done anything like it so looking for any help, tips, advice etc etc!

I know that flash photography is not allowed within the church, so got to make the most of a bad situation! However, going to speak to the priest toi see if I can get some shots around the font when the service is over!

So any pictures if people have done them before? What sort of shots am I looking for? Colour, b&w etc?!

All help very much appreciated!  :undecided:
Professional Freelance Equestrian Photographer

www.ravenphotography.co.uk
www.ravenphotography.uk

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Christening Help! Tomorrow! :O
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2010, 22:02 »
Prime lens stopped right down.....

Oh hang on, you don't have an SLR, do you?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline TheRaven

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2010, 22:04 »
Nope! Running a mini dslr, Fujifilm s1500 to be exact, its never let me down so far, Im not expecting anything spectacular, but at least want decent results lol!

www.ravenphotography.uk

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2010, 22:13 »
H'mmmm, I think you should pray it's a reasonably sunny day, because without a prime to hit on portraits I think you're going to be in trouble.

Can you shoot in RAW mode?  I know I would so I could rescue as much as possible afterwards.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2010, 22:17 »
Try google image search for christening pictures to get an idea of what's required.  

If it is dark in there just use the flash. No one will say anything. Plus most of the pics will be at the alter after the event when the rest of the congregation will be using their flash anyway.

Sounds like a horrible task! I really don't like taking pictures of people, especially kids. Especially kids that a too young to actually do anything! 

Offline TheRaven

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2010, 22:20 »
Well luckily he is a really photogenic little lad, and he is 1 so not a crinkly little baby lmao! Plus I do a lot of editing, so exposure etc can be adjusted after! I think Im going to go for a candid day!

Shes not looking for professional, just an album that captures the day!

And the weather says sunny all day lol! :D

www.ravenphotography.uk

Offline xkaty_h

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2010, 23:17 »
A lot of the time i think it's better not to stage anything especially on a day where people aren't really going to want to stop and pose. I'd try and hang back a bit and get some au natural shots. Try to look for interesting situations that occur naturally. Keep an eye on kids if they're any others there as they have a habit if doing classic things when not under supervision.

Don't be afraid to keep taking pictures. The more you're seen taking pictures the less it'll be awkward for both yourself and those you're taking the pictures of.

As Diamond Hell said, your key will be shooting in RAW if possible so you have absolute control over post processing but don't play with it too much as, in my opinion, it can detract from the essence of the image.

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 24 October 2010, 13:28 »
As said, shoot in RAW if you can at all, that'll give you the best flexibility for editing afterward. Don't bother with setting to B&W on the camera or anything like that, just remember it's a one-off event, never to be repeated, you need to capture it then and there.
For group shots, or anything with more than 1 person in it (especially if it's a child) take lots of shots, even if they end up very similar, because hopefully one of them will have caught the best expression or pose. It will also give you a chance to produce a compiled shot in photoshop later if you can't get one perfect photo. See below.
Kids move a lot and you need as fast a shutter speed as you can manage in the church.
Traditional church buildings are generally quite dark, (unless you have a lot of sunlight coming through the windows), so manually set the ISO higher (up to 800+) which will enable you to have a higher shutter speed (you want at least 1/30 to stop people being blurry even if they aren't moving). Note that upping the ISO will give you more noise on the image but if you use RAW you can probably get around that in the editing.
Ignore your flash, on board flash will produce nasty light anyway, you wouldn't be happy handing over photos with that.
Also try to get physically close to the action (thus avoiding zooming too much) this will mean you can have a wider aperture (lower f-stop) and therefore a higher shutter speed.

Here's one I took last Christmas, I actually took about 6 shots, and this was a photoshop of the two best ones.

Taken with a Nikon D60 with a flash bounced off the ceiling.

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #8 on: 24 October 2010, 16:39 »
how did it go?

Offline TheRaven

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 25 October 2010, 12:51 »
Pretty good actually! The vicar allowed flash during the service and the sun was out! :D Will get some pics up later! :D Thanks for all the help guys!

www.ravenphotography.uk