Author Topic: Darnpistonbroke - Golf G60  (Read 49110 times)

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
Re: Darnpistonbroke - Golf G60
« Reply #30 on: 04 February 2009, 19:46 »
Well, I posted that too soon!^^^^^^^^^^
Just lost my job, so project is on hold for a while. :cry:

THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 15 March 2009, 20:58 »
Not much of an update and no pictures as a door looks like a door. The passenger side door, (drivers side to you) had damage on it which was very difficult to re-profile during the painting a year ago. So as you may remember, about 6 months or so ago, I bought a replacement door and got it sprayed by the same company that did the original paint job on the car. However, my mate who sprayed the car had since left and the paint job I got back was crap! :angry: So I waited all this time to get it sorted, but have since found a job in England, and the shed is coming with me. So I decided to fit this door without having the crap paint seen to. The damaged door paint had flaws in it too so I lose nothing by changing it. I would rather have a straight door and crap paint rather than a damaged door and reasonable paint.
Anyway, all went went well and now the lines down the car are much more acceptable. :smiley: I transfered all the internal workings of the door including electric window mechanism, door latches and lock, harness etc, from the old door and into the new one, and it all works. I plan to get the whole side of the car, including a replacement wing resprayed at some point when I return to England.
My job for tomorrow is to raise the suspension to stop that infernal exhaust from clouting the rear beam and to try my other ECU and see if I can resolve this lambda probe business. Then on Thursday, it's pack the car up with half a ton of tools for my work, pack in the suitcase and other things and hope the car is reliable enough to get me to Bournemouth via the Bilbao/Portsmouth ferry over Friday and Saturday. Watch this space! :wink:
« Last Edit: 16 March 2009, 13:24 by DarnPB »

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 16 March 2009, 12:51 »
Well, I adjusted my rear suspension up a little and now you can see the tyre all the way round, but that damn exhaust is still rattling on something!
I also fiited my replacement ECU and it has not made any difference at all to the running with the lambda probe connected, so a bit of a fruitless morning by all accounts.
I am going to need a major re-think as far as my suspension goes as I am not entirely happy with it anyway. I may put together a hibrid system by mixing different makes of spring versus damper. If anyone has any suggestions, please post them up.
As for the exhaust, well I think I need to take the car to a fabricator who can adjust it to fit a G60. Remember that jetex were not made for the G60, but I have no idea how they would be different. The reducer within the system may be a little to long, thus pushing the system backwards, and making the radius over the rear beam in the wrong place causing me this headache.
The lambda probe problem I think is going to someone who knows more about these things than I do, as I am out of ideas. :sad:
I am going to have another little play with it later today, but I don't think I am going to get anywhere with it.

Offline Dubster2

• I live here
  • Dubs forever!
« Reply #33 on: 23 March 2009, 01:32 »
I've got a Jetex exhaust and that knocks on the rear beam too! I think most aftermarket exhausts do! I think it's too heavy for the runner hangers so need something beefier/firmer to hold it up in place. Not sure what other people have done, but that's another job that I need to sort!

Offline monzablue16v

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 23 March 2009, 15:41 »
Powerflex exhaust rubbers :)

Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 23 March 2009, 18:43 »
I've got a Jetex exhaust and that knocks on the rear beam too! I think most aftermarket exhausts do! I think it's too heavy for the runner hangers so need something beefier/firmer to hold it up in place. Not sure what other people have done, but that's another job that I need to sort!

I have mine also supported with ti-wraps very high and it still bangs! Bloody thing! I am going to take the car to a fabticator and ask if it is possible to 'move' the bend in the exhaust that goes over the rear beam forwards, so that the top of the bend is over the beam and not to the back.

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 18 April 2009, 19:44 »
A very satisfying day today, with one minor hic-up. But more about that later.

I went to Mike Stokes Motorsport this morning to have my very heavy Jetex exhaust sorted, and I now have a very smooth, rattle free shed with no cat. I am extremely happy with it, although obviously it needs to settle down. Anyway, here are some piccies.

This one is of the 18 year old cat. It has had its nine lives so it was put out of it misery.

GONE!

This is the cat replacement pipe made on site. It's the same diameter of the Jetex too, so no reducers needed. This is usefull for when I get my tubular manifold later.

As you can see, the radius is now completely over the rear beam with loads of clearance.

And now the tail pipes sit nice and central and higher than before.

He removed on hangar from the top of the rear silencer inlet and replaced it with two more on either side of the silencer inlet pipe. This gave him more room to play with to raise the exhaust up a little more. The absence of the reducer and a custom fit cat replacement pipe meant that the radius was ideally situated where it should be. The tail pipe support bracket was also shortened and all the rubbers were replaced by much stronger items. He spent 3 hours on the work and I was not charged half as much as I was expecting so I am a happy bunny!

Further updates on the rest of the day later. :smiley:

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 18 April 2009, 21:45 »
And now for the rest of the day!
My clutch master cylinder decided to leak internally making driving rather interesting. I had been borrowing my friends MKIV which, I have to say, was a refreshing change from the hard ride of the shed. I can drive a car without the aid of the clutch, but negociating junctions and roundabouts can be a little tricky. Anyway, after I got my exhaust fixed, I drove to my friends house to do more car work. He had picked up for me the 3rd master cylinder to try, and it was third time lucky as it was the correct one. So this got fitted and bled with no fuss or bother and fairly quickley too. So then, it was to the rear suspension.
If you saw my write up about my trip to the UK from Madrid, you would have seen that I had to raise the rear suspension so that I could load up the boot with all my tools for work. Well today, I put it back down to where it was. This was accomplished in reasonable time too, and whilst I was doing that, Jon was cleaning up my rear wheels, internally as well as externally.
Now for the glitch in the day.
I though that the car would have a little more power now the cat was out of the equation, but I was a little dissapointed. I took Jon to where I am staying for the time being, to pick up his MKIV, and on the way, hoofed it a little to show the power of a G60. But there was no power. :undecided: Then I heard a loud pop and the power reduced to near enough zero. We pulled over and had a look and found the Mas Air Flow sensor was gone! :shocked:
We drove back to my place and had a look round for the sensor as I thought it may have fallen out of the intercooler when I had the car apart yesterday, but to no avail. Jon took his car back and had a look round his place. but again to no avail. So I retraced my steps to where I heard the pop, pulled over and had a look over the road and grass verge, but could not find it. So I went home. When I got there, I had another look under the bonnet and looked to where the sensor would have been aimed, and found it, still within the engine bay, on a ledge under where the clutch master cylinder hides. So I refitted it and wire locked it in place to make sure it would not 'dissapear' again. All was well after a test drive and I have to say that the car is so much nicer to drive without the exhaust causing mayhem, and a high and very predictable clutch pedal.
Now I have to investigate the lambda probe problem. DannyP has given me a few hints, so hopefully, that will be sorted shortly. :smiley:

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 12 May 2009, 22:18 »
Silly post really! :embarassed: Just won on ebay a set of big intercooler hoses to fix up my big intercooler that I have had for over a year now, so expect an update soon! :laugh:

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 02 September 2009, 16:06 »
Been a while now, and seeing I am staying in this windswept overtaxed country of ours, I have made a start on doing the necessary work to import it. So I started with the clocks.
I won a set of 160mph clocks from a 16v, but they had the pointers painted red and the mileage was too high. So I had to take them apart to correct them.

The Spanish, ot more PC, European clocks.

The English ones.

The mileage as I said before was super high, so I removed the speedo to wind back the mileage. It took a looooooooooong time to rewind the clock, but I eventually got there.
I didn't take step by step photos, so this is not a comprehensive 'how to do' thread. The pointers on the replacement were red, so for a number of reasons, I decided to keep the original binacle and just change the speedo. So I carefully removed the pointers from both clocks and glue into place the white pointer from the original clock onto the mph speedo.
The other reasons for keeping the same binacle is to make sure that I retained the MFA functions for the G60 and also I know that the original binnacle works without fault, as well as having white pointers for the tacho, water temp and fuel quantity.

As you can see, the mileage now reflects the kilometers.

And final installation.