Author Topic: Adi's mk3 wannabe mk2 GL + GTI daily :)  (Read 17470 times)

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
Re: Adi's mk3 wannabe mk2 GL + GTI daily :)
« Reply #40 on: 08 September 2012, 16:54 »
UPDATE...

Well the new plates and grille badge turned up, freshening the GTI up nicely

Also fitted some spare mirrors to it as both mirrors were unadjustable from inside, one had snapped cables and the other just didn't have an adjuster! Also got hold of a mirror knob and rubber boot for it, just to finish off the inside. No pics, because, well we all know what a standard golf GTI looks like inside!

Today seeing as the sun has its hat on I thought I'd have a go at the GL. Got it running much better today, turned out I forgot there was no brake master cylinder on it causing a massive vaccum leak! bunged the hole on the pipe and jobs a good 'un, will even tickover nicely now too, considering there's no exhaust past the cat! So now its running OKish I thought I better stick some hoses, a radiator and some water in it...

Looks a lot more complete in there now, just got to swap the PAS resevoir over to the mk2 item. Tomorrow all being well I can drive it onto the roadside, get it on ramps, fit the exhaust to please the neighbours and get the gear linkage adjusted so I can get reverse and be able to park it back on the sloped drive (we had to "push" it up there with my GTI and a tow pole, was an arch clenching operation!). So a good day methinks! Finally feel like its getting somewhere near completion now :D

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 17 September 2012, 18:49 »
Bit of an update, I painted some engine bay parts on the GL to make it look a bit more presentable, also got some of them stainless dome bolts for the rocker cover coming too.

Also fitted an exhaust to the GL, that'l please the neighbours! Next job was to make some working clocks out of 2 sets for the GTI, so there was some of this going on...

Now they work and look like this (yes I realise the needles need some adjustment, it was getting dark and I was in a rush to get it all back together to go out)

Then today I felt the need to rectify this

New rocker gasket fitted, quick clean to check for leaks (I will pressure wash it at morrisons when I'm next down that way)

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 30 September 2012, 13:57 »
Been ON IT!!!

Yesterday was a mission to get the engine bay pretty much complete, I did take pics on my phone but it crashed and I lost them all, so I went and took a few pics with the camera this morning so you get the idea. First up, fit the 22mm master cylinder I removed from the donor and painted up a few weeks ago needed fitting, I chose the cleanest out of the 3 resevoirs I had...

Next job was to mount the ECU somewhere more fixed, I tried mounting it to the old PB ECU cage, but that failed, so for the time being its cable tied down under the scuttle tray, not pretty, but you can't see it...

Also fitted my spangly stainless rocker bolts

Then I had the messy task of swapping a PAS pipe and resevoir over to the better fitting mk2 items, looks much better. I was going to sort this out today...

So that I could get some fluid in it and give it brakes but the rain and general laziness says no.
On another note I did put all the front end back together properly and took a load of "I'm happy with that" pictures!

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 02 October 2012, 15:20 »
Well well whats been happening today? I got a few hours on it and after some frantic googling/frustration on my mk3 clocks not working, I found that you have to bridge D8/E2 and you get life in the mk3 clocks!

So a celebratory picture...

So then all the dash could go back in now I'm done with the wiring in the car

I am however a bit annoyed with how the clocks sit, I read up on it and took the advice to trim the upper inner lining of the dash and moved the right hand support bracket over and its still a bit poo tbh...

You may also spot my mk3 stalks (had to trim the top column cowling) and I put the early mk3 wheel back in that I had put in the GTI (but I stole it from this car anyway).
In other news I'm having some difficulty in getting the engine to run correctly, the idle is wierd and the engine revs aren't too quick to come back down, most likely caused by the monumental vacuum leak that I can't find!!! Sounds like its coming from the inlet manifold somewhere, I've investigated it, took the ISV off and bunged the holes, checked the little vac hoses, checked the servo vac hose and I just can't find it! Any ideas?

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
Re: Adi's mk3 wannabe mk2 GL
« Reply #44 on: 23 March 2013, 19:52 »
Well where are we with this? Seriously behind on updates! Well it now rolls on some fairly rare german spec TT speedlines, which will be coming off soon as I've bought some 15" corrado speedlines, which are more ET friendly :) It now has a full UV 90 spec interior, oh yea, and today it had it's 1st outing in 9 months...

Small fail, an anti roll bar drop link (which is stubbornly siezed in the end of the ARB, left it overnight soaking some oil), one tyre has a cut on the inside sidewall, and the rear foglight switch has died, I didn't have time to wire up a temporary one before the MOT, so a new one is on order.

So, re-test next week, tax, then to Elsecar on bank holiday monday! :D

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #45 on: 31 March 2013, 20:15 »
After 9 long months... Its MOT'd and taxed!

Really pleased so far, its returning an everage of 32mpg, had up to 43mpg, its torquey, and the brakes and handling is excellent. The widetrack has certainly helped. Only small niggles so far, the exhaust mani is ticking so needs gaskets, the arches are cutting into the tyres (even though I've rolled them to the max), and the tracking is out. Done about 150miles so far, and its first proper outing is Elsecar show tomorrow :