Author Topic: Problems fitting R32 accelerator pedal cover  (Read 5465 times)

Offline CitizenKane

• Not said much yet
Problems fitting R32 accelerator pedal cover
« on: 04 March 2018, 15:57 »
Hi all,

I'm trying to fit a set of OEM R32 pedal covers in my GTi. The brake and clutch pedals went on fine but I am struggling to fit the accelerator pedal.

I've read conflicting things on the internet about how they are meant to fit, but I've tried both (1) fitting the R32 cover over the existing pedal and (2) replacing the existing pedal entirely with the R32 pedal, but neither seem to be working for me - the part just doesn't want to fit over the existing cover, and it is too big to fit the bare metal piece under the existing cover.

Can anyone tell me which method is correct for this, so I can least narrow down the reason why this isn't working for me?

This is the part in question:

Many thanks.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Problems fitting R32 accelerator pedal cover
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2018, 18:43 »
Remove old cover

Top tip is get a bowl / jug of hot water and soak the existing pedal to lossen the rubber  :wink:

Obviously the jug has to fit under the pedal  :grin:

Offline CitizenKane

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2018, 22:52 »
Thanks mate, I was actually able to get the existing one off without too much difficulty. The problem is the R32 cover just doesn't seem like it will fit onto the metal part. It seems like it's too big  :huh:

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2018, 00:57 »
Is the replacement pedal an e-bay knock-off?  I bought a set of e-bay alloy pedal covers for my mk7.5 Golf.  The clutch and brake fit fine, but the accelerator pedal is a different shape to the original pedal!  If you put the two side by side and look carefully the cover is significantly more curved than the stock pedal.  The only way I could get it to fit was to stand on the e-bay pedal to bend it roughly to the same profile. It isn't perfect, but fits well enough to stay attached.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline CitizenKane

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2018, 09:01 »
Is the replacement pedal an e-bay knock-off?  I bought a set of e-bay alloy pedal covers for my mk7.5 Golf.  The clutch and brake fit fine, but the accelerator pedal is a different shape to the original pedal!  If you put the two side by side and look carefully the cover is significantly more curved than the stock pedal.  The only way I could get it to fit was to stand on the e-bay pedal to bend it roughly to the same profile. It isn't perfect, but fits well enough to stay attached.

I'm pretty sure mine is OEM. I bought them off gumtree so no way to verify, but they look OEM and they have the part number and usual stuff imprinted on the back. The photo I posted in the OP is an actual photo of my one. Also the stock pedal cover is pretty much the same shape in terms of curvature, it's just smaller - in fact when I remove the stock one it slots pretty much perfectly into the back of the R32 one, it just won't stay in place!

Offline CitizenKane

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2018, 12:22 »
EDIT: I think I know the problem. The part number on the back of mine is 1J1721647A, which I think is for a LHD car, whereas the part for a RHD car is I think 1J1721647C. From doing some reading it seems that the LHD one is slightly bigger, which would explain it.

Anyway I'm not too keen to fork out again for another pedal, and even if I was I'm having difficulty finding any RHD ones for sale at the moment. So I was thinking of maybe just gluing my R32 cover over the existing pedal cover. It fits perfectly, but it just won't stay in place securely. Any reason why I shouldn't do this or any recommendations for an adhesive that would be suitable?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 06 March 2018, 15:14 by CitizenKane »

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2018, 20:22 »
Gorilla super glue  :smiley: