Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529720 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1850 on: 30 July 2018, 21:35 »
Quick wash for me tonight, with this weather only managed about 2 washes in 5 weeks or so.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1851 on: 31 July 2018, 14:33 »
Looking great there as usual Jim, I particularly like the diagonal stripes on the mats! :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1852 on: 02 August 2018, 09:09 »
Looking great there as usual Jim, I particularly like the diagonal stripes on the mats! :smiley:

Cheers, went for a diagonal as a change!  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline MKgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1853 on: 02 August 2018, 17:27 »
Nice job again Jim, need to do mine but it's gone hot and sunny again.
Collected and being driven....... Gti PP 5dr DSG Tornado red, tints and Brescia's.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1854 on: 22 August 2018, 20:23 »
I did one of "those" jobs this afternoon, something that I'd been putting off, in the knowledge that inevitably at some point I'd have to do it.

If, like me, you suffer from a back problem, cleaning the inside of the windscreen is even more of a pain than usual.  I just don't bend in the right directions any more.  The only thing I've found which helps is this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invisible-Glass-95161-Reach-Windscreens/dp/B0017K69MA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1534964764&sr=8-3&keywords=stoners+invisible+glass+cleaner

Used with Stoners Invisible Glass I can get enough pressure on it to get rid of the film which develops all over the inside of the screen, and becomes more noticeable in low sun, or at night with headlights coming towards you.  I tend to use Invisible Glass sparingly when I'm cleaning the outside of the glass, but a bit less sparingly on the inside of the screen, so I spread some large microfibre cloths over the dash.

As far as I can tell, it's done a good job.  So I won't need to do it again for a few months!

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1855 on: 23 August 2018, 13:34 »
I did one of "those" jobs this afternoon, something that I'd been putting off, in the knowledge that inevitably at some point I'd have to do it.

If, like me, you suffer from a back problem, cleaning the inside of the windscreen is even more of a pain than usual.  I just don't bend in the right directions any more.  The only thing I've found which helps is this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invisible-Glass-95161-Reach-Windscreens/dp/B0017K69MA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1534964764&sr=8-3&keywords=stoners+invisible+glass+cleaner

Used with Stoners Invisible Glass I can get enough pressure on it to get rid of the film which develops all over the inside of the screen, and becomes more noticeable in low sun, or at night with headlights coming towards you.  I tend to use Invisible Glass sparingly when I'm cleaning the outside of the glass, but a bit less sparingly on the inside of the screen, so I spread some large microfibre cloths over the dash.

As far as I can tell, it's done a good job.  So I won't need to do it again for a few months!

Good work. Getting the inside of the windscreen clean is a proper PITA!!!
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1856 on: 23 August 2018, 14:43 »
Thanks, Jim.  It really is!  Give me the windscreen of an early VW Beetle any day.

Anyway, it's been a busy day today.  The car was washed, dried, and the paintwork treated to some Auto Finesse Radiance Carnauba Creme:

https://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/waxes-and-sealants/radiance-500ml

This was the first time I'd used this, and it's very easy to apply, and buffs away nicely.  The container claims a longevity of three months, and I'll aim to get another coat on before winter sets in.

Carnauba is a bit like catnip for me, I love the stuff.  I picked this up at the Auto Finesse stand at the Players meeting at Goodwood, aka the Goodwood Festival of Chav - every kind of modified car is there, it's an eye-opener.  I also bought some Dressle, for use on the black plastic bits: 

https://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/finishing/dressle-500ml

The wheels were treated to a good clean inside and out, using a large conical brush to reach through to the inner surfaces, and while I had the wheel nut covers off I checked the torque of the nuts.  The wheels were waxed with Poorboys Wheel Wax, and the tyres dressed with GTechniq T2:  https://gtechniq.com/products/auto/t2-tyre-dressing  My only criticism of this is that it's quite watery, and isn't easily absorbed by a sponge, so if you're not careful you can end up wasting quite a lot of it.

The windows were cleaned with Stoners Invisible Glass, and that was enough for one day.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1857 on: 07 September 2018, 12:56 »
It’s been a while since last wash.  7 weeks!   :embarrassed:

Bit of citrus pre wash action (following snow foam)

Not perfect, needs a damn good full-on detail, but presentable. 

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1858 on: 07 September 2018, 15:13 »
Looks perfect to me! :smiley:

Mine should get a seeing to next week having been untouched since July 12th :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1859 on: 07 September 2018, 17:04 »
Looks perfect to me! :smiley:

And to me too :cool:.

Mine should get a seeing to next week having been untouched since July 12th :rolleyes:

Perhaps we need a new thread; ‘How long has it been since you last washed your car?’ It’s only about 3 - 3.5 weeks for me, and I also plan on doing mine next week, weather and my dodgy back permitting! :smiley:

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl