Author Topic: Mk 8 GTI dead before it's arrived?  (Read 9219 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk 8 GTI dead before it's arrived?
« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2020, 16:13 »
I'm not sure VW will react - they'll either come out fighting from day 1 of the GTI with high spec, low RRP or they'll be wondering why even a £2k deposit contribution doesn't place them in contention.

Remember this is going to be a harsh market 2020/2021 - they can't loss lead, there just isn't the money there, they are bleeding already with covid, id3 problems and desielgate...

The hot hatch might be a small part of their business, but i think they are going to get spanked - partly their own fault due to a superiority complex from the Mk7 years.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2020, 16:37 »
Two and a half weeks and 1200 miles into M135i ownership here, I’ll spare everyone the tedium of me writing too much but my summary of thoughts is VW will sell plenty of GTI’s as their core of repeat owners are an ultra conservative bunch and generally don’t move too far out of the box.
So long as the product remains pretty good then the badge and heritage will sell the cars and I don’t think the traditional repeat GTI purchaser will be put off by the challenging looks too much (bearing in mind none of the competitors are oil paintings either) or small areas of cheaper quality plastics.
I don’t think the GTI will be as ugly as the cooking mk8’s in the flesh and oozes Golfness side on so it’ll be popular and soon enough familiarity will water down the shock of the frontal looks. Similarly the 1 series looks far better in the flesh than in photos and both cars are of their time in design and looks.

The 128 will be shifted in decent numbers to brand swappers and those who want slightly more than VW are offering because BMW do very aggressive marketing despite high list prices. In fact the high list prices add to the premium image BMW need in order to shift their much bigger more expensive cars so won’t be compromised on, but are instead offset by decent discounts and affordable PCP and lease deals.

Never write the GTI off as it has a die hard following but at long last VW do have a bit of non in-house competition that’ll appeal to a wider market who don’t want fast Fords, Far Eastern or French.
BMW’s speciality seems to be PCP and lease deals which they’ll probably use to combat the GTI heritage.

I’ve no idea how the 128 will ride but the chassis is well developed from the Mini equivalents and I think the fact the chassis will be ‘purely mechanical‘ in a hot hatch is a good thing.
Going from the non adaptive 135 F40 on 19’s the ride is quite busy but well bushed and damped making it feel firm but absolutely not crashy even on Bridgestone tyres. Jiggly yes, harsh no.
BMW seem keen on adding chassis braces to the 1 series and mine has no squeaks or rattles as yet.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2020, 21:14 »
I saw the Top Gear and Autocar articles on 128ti and laughed as this precisely what you guys have been talking about.

It does seem that BMW and Mercedes have woken up to the success of VAG performance cars and are now looking to take the fight to them.

Did anyone see a snippet a few months back that said Performance Golfs make up 40% of all UK Golfs sold (I think it was 2019 sales figures). So that is a big chunk of the market that they won’t want to lose but as Fred says they certainly can’t give cars away as they need the cash.

I think I am a relatively loyal customer, I have always felt the cabin in my cars have been designed by people that knew what they were doing and knew what was important for driver and had sensible solutions for including the features that would matter.

I’m not sure the Mk8 has had that and I wonder how much of it was driven by the economies of scale argument as we can include the same basic software to all their vehicles (and tell the climate control button company to shove off)

Part of me wants to jump ship to another brand but so far everything I’ve seen with other brands I seem to have an issue with ( I’m quite fussy). I’ve tried to rationalise the “new digital golf” but haven’t reach a conclusion yet.

2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 16 September 2020, 22:13 »
I wonder... We've heard a lot about vw focus on the id3... Do you think this even truly matters to them? Electric is surging, having your competitors throw serious effort at performance petrol new models now, are vw laughing up their sleeves?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 17 September 2020, 11:00 »
Or how about this....

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/hyundai/i30-n/

Now you’re talking!!

I definitely want a test drive when it comes out but think you mentioned previously that it didn’t have ACC, which puts me off. Hopefully in facelift that will change.

The exhausts are rather big but I do like the look of the Fastback.

Certainly as said previously the Golf GTI has some competition around.
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 17 September 2020, 11:19 »
Supposedly the new N has proper ACC and also auto gearbox... still no clue when it actually is available.

Oh here we go....

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/first-drive-2021-hyundai-i30-fastback-n-performance-prototype

March 2021.

Interesting that there are a few different contenders in this sector now, even though the Megane is gone and its unclear if the Type-R will survive Honda's relocation and electrification plans.

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 17 September 2020, 12:03 »
Unfortunately I still cannot get over my dislike of the 'stick on' I pad which seems like such an afterthought in most modern cars... GTD for a while then I suppose until there is absolutely no other choice :sad:
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 17 September 2020, 12:29 »
Unfortunately I still cannot get over my dislike of the 'stick on' I pad which seems like such an afterthought in most modern cars... GTD for a while then I suppose until there is absolutely no other choice :sad:

Two reasons for it:

1) You actually need to have somewhere where you don't need to take your eyes off of the road
2) Bigger screens mean you start to run out of space to put it.

Not many good options once you consider those two constraints. In fact, where the Mk7 has it is functionally bad really - Audi did a better job last time on the A3.

I guess you could build a binnacle behind it, but you start to further block sight lines with that, which is bad.

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 17 September 2020, 12:58 »
All very good points Fred, I do wonder though how much info do we really need on hand that does not just become another distraction, I really like the HUD options on the BM and really apart from the Nav which can be put on the main display in the Mk7/7.5 what else do you need that you can't do with the steering wheels buttons which do become instinctive after a while (heating controls accepted...) :huh:
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG