Author Topic: Kiwi shoe polish for GTi bumpers with pics  (Read 19246 times)

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
Re: Kiwi shoe polish for GTi bumpers with pics
« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2007, 09:39 »
I guess it takes under an hour to go round the plastics once, but its hard to gauge due to half time tea breaks and talking to neighbours! 

Yes I should have said its best to make sure the plastics are dry before you have a go at this.  Any clean rag will do for buffing of the excess.  The kind of cloth you would use for polishing the paint work will be fine.

I am pleased to say it passed the first hurdle coz it still looks good after last nights rain!  :smiley:

Offline patch900

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 08 March 2007, 11:29 »
 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

This stuff rules, I did all my bumpers etc last week and still looks great. The finish it gives really sets off the whole car. My 8V is magic black so the bumpers etc really let it down, now it looks sweet as.  :laugh:

Cheers for the suggestion, nice one  :wink:
Virtually everything I know about the workings of the internal combustion engine can be written on the back of a small stamp with a large marker

Offline tom26

• I live here
  • team chumpy.
« Reply #12 on: 08 March 2007, 15:08 »
i did mine last weekend, still looks great now!

Offline ace

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 08 March 2007, 15:39 »
just washed my car and applied some of this stuff to trim........has come out black again  :grin:

Offline ace

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 09 March 2007, 13:39 »
well the shoe polish has passed the first test......it survived the pouring overnight rain :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 11 March 2007, 10:36 »
As promised some pics after a quick wash 3 weeks later.  As you can see the kiwi is still on and looks OK (but has begun to fade a bit).  The weather has been bad since I did it in mid february so I am pleased with it  :smiley:

I have noticed there is an excellent thread on CGTI about restoring faded bumpers.  The great thing about the shoe polish is its cheap, quick and easy  :laugh: http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90414

Anyone else got any pics to post?  :cool: Photobucket.com and use the IMG code  :wink:
« Last Edit: 11 March 2007, 10:40 by Simon8v91 »

Offline vw-bob

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 11 March 2007, 22:32 »
yep used the same stuff when i cleaned mine, this is the second time ive put it on in 3 weeks. so if it keeps lasting that long each time then im more than happy to spend half a hour working on the trim  :grin:

seems to have done the job

Offline 8vRicey

• Here all the time
  • Silver Mettalic 8v GTI
« Reply #17 on: 03 April 2007, 12:59 »
Yep, been using it for a while....lasts fekkin' ages!  :wink:
« Last Edit: 03 April 2007, 13:01 by 8vRicey »
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 07 May 2007, 10:56 »
I gave it the once over with the kiwi again  :smiley:

The stuff was still looking OK from mid-February but I had just given the car a polish so I though what the hell!

Before:

After:

Hope this thread persuades any sceptics. I used to be!  :evil:

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #19 on: 07 May 2007, 11:34 »
like i said earlier in this thread i bought the cheapo stuff and it still work's a treat....

and I also informed a few people (i will call the grey bumper brigade) at vw summer night's and they were sceptible so i pointed them to this thread...the only problem i have found is on my rear spoiler as this is pu-rim (harder plastic) and it dosen't absorb shoe polish!! so that still get's autoglym
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk