Author Topic: Battery fuse box melting on golf  (Read 6635 times)

Offline Ange

• Just got here
Battery fuse box melting on golf
« on: 15 November 2015, 22:17 »
Hi
My poor little golf has been poorly, she's a 1999 1.9 tdi
Every now and then the battery goes dead for no reason then we jump start it and it's fine for a while then it goes dead again. This has gone on for the last two or three years but we've never been able to figure it out.
Had a new battery, alternator and everything has been checked and is ok. Sometimes it can be a month other times it's only a week before it dies.

A little while ago maybe 3 months ago or so we found a fuse in the battery fuse box that had melted a bit and a mechanic cleaned it up and fitted a new fuse.

Since then the car has done its usual won't start every now and then but then over the last couple of months the abs light has come on, it went off once for about a week but has since been on continually.

Now this weekend the battery has died two times which is unusual in itself to happen so close together, we checked the fuse again and the new fuse has melted much worse than the old one, the plastic has all melted and even the metal leg of the fuse had melted.
I have got pictures but can't for the life of me figure out how to put them up.

When your stood at the bonnet looking into the fuse box it's the fuse on the left of the three, tried looking in the Haynes manual but couldn't make much sense of it though. We think it might be an abs fuse which would explain the light. Also could explain why the battery is going dead so quick with it arcing out and burning in the fuse maybe?

We have a new fuse box on order but what I would like to know is how can we fix the underlying problem, I don't want to get a new fuse box for it to happen again.

Is there anybody with a knowledge of these circuits that could give me a breakdown on what all the wires are and where they go and how to test please

Thank you so kindly

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Battery fuse box melting on golf
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2015, 22:57 »
Now it'd be interesting to know which fuse blows ;)
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Ange

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2015, 23:49 »

Yay it worked. We have a picture
Right so in this picture it is fuse S180 which according to that is the cooling fan

Any ideas please??

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2015, 08:11 »
The fuse to the alternator sprang to mind until you posted that picture. Mine melted the fuse box recently as the alternator harness had gone bad, which was the large fuse in the left.
Do the fans kick in on yours and have a life of their own? The fan control unit is a known problem, I'm not sure if that would cause this. Maybe the fan motor is defective and frying the fuse? I'm sure a proper auto electrician could diagnose your issue quite quickly.

Build thread clicky