Author Topic: DanChave's Flash Red GTI 16V. Engine strip, clean and paint!  (Read 60363 times)

Offline DanChave

• I live here
Re: DanChave's Flash Red GTI 16V. Engine strip, clean and paint!
« Reply #240 on: 17 August 2013, 18:19 »
So, I have been cracking on with a few bits. I have test fitted the splits, played about with camber and started cleaning up the engine bay a bit more in preparation for what's to come over the Winter ;)

On test fitting the wheels, I found out they poked around 20mm all round :/ although they were built for a Mk3, the car had rolled and pulled arches to fit the wheels! I want to keep the original swage lines of the arches and just heavily roll the lips, so some nice stretch and lots of camber is on the cards :D

Next was to start to work out exactly how much camber I will need to run! Starting with the rear, the rear hub assembly was stripped and washers used to mock up the amount of camber to get the lips in line with the arch. In the end, I used 5 washers on the front Lower stub axle bolt and four washers on the rear lower bolt. I have ordered a camber measurement tool so I can work out exactly how many degrees of negative camber I have and weather I will get a plate made up or use camber shims.

Next was to have a play with the front and it soon became clear that the natural camber adjustment on the front hub wasn't going to be enough, so I have ordered up a pair of camber top mounts and front camber bolts :)

Then, as there was nothing more I could do fitment wise, I started removing any unnecessary objects in the engine bay! I binned the carbon canister, associate pump and pipework, followed the clear vent pipe back to the fuel tank and cut it back just after the closest clip leaving it to vent to air like on the mk2's. I also started removing the ABS system and unwrapping the engine bay loom :) a few pics to follow when I get the time!

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #241 on: 23 August 2013, 18:11 »
UPDATE WITH PICS!

So, the Image Wheels look like this

Trial fitment

Front

[URL=http://s1198.photobucket.com/user/DanChave/media/Flash%20Red%20MK3%20Golf%20GTI%2016V/DSC_0150_zpsc39e7da1.jpg.html]

Rear

As they were built for a car with rolled and pulled arches, they poked about 20mm all round. Originally I had planned to face mount them to push them the 20mm back into the arch, but when they arrived I fell in love with the amount of dish and decided to make them fit with a combination of camber and arch rolling :)

The rear with 4/5 washers

Im just using the washers to get an idea of how much camber I need to add, when I have it how I want it I'll get a plate machined that accounts for the toe as well :)

Offline whileoceanasleeps

• I live here
  • patience comes to those who wait.
« Reply #242 on: 23 August 2013, 18:37 »
awesome wheels

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #243 on: 23 August 2013, 18:53 »
Cheers bud! They have been abused by the last owner but I'll get them better than they have ever been :)

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #244 on: 24 August 2013, 13:01 »
To sort the front out I have ordered some of these,

And some of these :D

The Camber Bolts turned up first, so I had a play with how much camber I can get with them

The most I could achieve was about -1.25, hopefully the top mounts will take care of the rest!

Then I started getting rid of all the unsightly nonsense in the engine bay!

I have ripped out this lot so far :ph34r:

Leaving me with this

Then this turned up!

Fitted.

Then finally to bring everything up to date, I started cleaning the splits up as the insides of the barrels looked like they had never been cleaned by the previous owner! Why you wouldn't look after a set of over £1200 worth of wheels not including tyres, I don't know! But saying that, I they had of been looked after, I wouldn't have got them for the price that I did :ph34r:

The barrels looked like this

And then after six rinses with alloy wheel cleaner and scrubbing for about two hours :wacko: I ended up with this!

I cant decide weather to get the barrels chrome powdercoated or mirror polished like they originally were..........

Anyways, that's the latest! The top mounts have arrived so next on the agenda will be to get a pair of flat top caps made for the front coilovers and see weather I can get the lip to touch the arch.......

Offline notenoughtime

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #245 on: 24 August 2013, 23:43 »
Wheels came up lovely!

Offline Junior74

• Here all the time
« Reply #246 on: 25 August 2013, 00:29 »
Looking good Dan....  :smiley:

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #247 on: 25 August 2013, 00:37 »
Wheels came up lovely!

The pics hide a lot but it's a step in the right direction :)

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #248 on: 25 August 2013, 00:38 »
Looking good Dan....  :smiley:

Cheers bud, not looking as good as yours yet though!

Offline whileoceanasleeps

• I live here
  • patience comes to those who wait.
« Reply #249 on: 25 August 2013, 11:33 »
let's see a pic of the whole car with it's new shoes then!