Author Topic: DanChave's Flash Red GTI 16V. Engine strip, clean and paint!  (Read 60592 times)

Offline DanChave

• I live here
Re: DanChave's Flash Red GTI 16V. Engine strip, clean and paint!
« Reply #160 on: 22 October 2012, 11:50 »
Cheers bud, I can't wait to drive it now! Should be picking up the refurb'd Alternator tomorrow and I may have time to get her started on Wednesday :) :) :)

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #161 on: 22 October 2012, 18:21 »
Got a bit more done today :)

First I got the Vain Pump and brackets, plus the lower cambelt cover and the bottom pulley fitted.

Then I picked up my freshly rebuilt Alternator from Bill Richards Auto Electrics in Newton Abbot!

And got that fitted.

I also fitted my hubcentric spacers, 15mm on the front and 20mm on the back :)

Excuse how dirty she is, and please excuse the slight RR and arch gap, I have coilovers and different alloys to help solve that ;)

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #162 on: 24 October 2012, 19:31 »
Got a fair bit more done today! Didn't get any pics, it got dark before I had time to do so. However, if anyone has any idea where these earths go....

And what, if anything, goes into the hole located just above the coolant flange..........

Help would be great as I hope to get the thing started tomorrow!

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #163 on: 24 October 2012, 21:19 »
The hole should have a plug in it with a copper washer.

Earths should bolt to the block. Behind coolant flange.
« Last Edit: 24 October 2012, 21:22 by tshirt2k »

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #164 on: 24 October 2012, 21:28 »
Cheers bud, the funny thing is, I can't remember for the life of me, taking any such thing out! Plus I bagged up everything with labels straight away......... I'll be off to TPS first thing in the morning, I seem to be missing a component from the shifter tower as well..........

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #165 on: 08 January 2013, 14:09 »
Right, so! I have finally had time to carry on with the beast :) After trying in vain to get the car to idle, I thought I would check all the wiring in the engine bay! Thanks to Mike_25th on SWdubs.co.uk, he sent me a copy of the Autodata info for my car so I had values to check against! after checking everything else, I checked the loom section going round the back on the block to the Throttle Potentiometer Switch, Throttle Closed Switch and the unused heater plug. To put it simply, the three wires on the TPS plug are literally falling apart lol! How I missed that the first time I checked the loom I have NO idea!

Now if that doesn't sort the idle problem then I don't know what will!

I have been recommended an auto electrician called John Harrop, based in Exeter, so he is booked in to come and sort the wiring out 9:00am on Thursday morning! :D

I'm off to go and wash the car in the rain!

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #166 on: 08 January 2013, 18:32 »
Hello stranger!  :grin:

Hope you get it sorted mate. If I was still down there I would have given you a hand with it. I've got all the gear and a bit of a dab hand at electicerals!
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #167 on: 08 January 2013, 19:31 »
Yeah, I'm still alive lol :) how's you bud? Where are you nowadays?

Offline whileoceanasleeps

• I live here
  • patience comes to those who wait.
« Reply #168 on: 08 January 2013, 22:39 »
looking real clean man, love it!

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #169 on: 08 January 2013, 23:16 »
Oh it really isn't at the moment bud! I took some pics the other day and the content is just shameful! I was gonna give the poor thing a wash today, only to find out our builder had nicked my bucket to mix cement! I did go out to Asda and pic up another bucket, but by then it was too late to get on it.

Tomorrow I'm off to TPS to pic up an oil sensor and some new bolts for the shifter tower, then when I get back I will refit the slam panel properly and refit the bonnet catch, give it a thorough wash and give the insides a good clean before the auto electrician arrives sometime after 2:00pm! Providing the car is fixed, I'm hoping to get it along to its first meet under my ownership tomorrow evening for the SOS meet in Newton Abbot :)