Author Topic: DanChave's Flash Red GTI 16V. Engine strip, clean and paint!  (Read 60415 times)

Offline DanChave

• I live here
Re: DanChave's Flash Red GTI 16V. Engine strip, clean and paint!
« Reply #60 on: 21 August 2012, 10:08 »
Not long till the gearbox is off and that heavy metal disc has 5+kilo shaved off it.....

... that is what your doing right?  :tongue: :evil:

Once the engine is all back together, I will be looking to take the gearbox out, clean, paint, replace bolts etc so I guess it makes sense to lighten the flywheel at the same time :) I have heard of people doing this, but what exactly is the benefit?

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #61 on: 21 August 2012, 16:02 »
Less inertia, so quicker revving basically. Some say you loose torque, but I've never seen any evidence to suggest this. I had it done on my mk3 8v, and I thought it was great! People wouldn't do it unless it was benificial. Worth renewing the clutch seeing as the GB is off, and flywheel out too mate.
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #62 on: 21 August 2012, 17:24 »
Less inertia, so quicker revving basically. Some say you loose torque, but I've never seen any evidence to suggest this. I had it done on my mk3 8v, and I thought it was great! People wouldn't do it unless it was benificial. Worth renewing the clutch seeing as the GB is off, and flywheel out too mate.

Cool, when the gearbox comes off I'll do that then! I am going to consentrate on getting the engine back together and the car back on the road, let my funds build back up again and then tackle the gearbox :)

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #63 on: 21 August 2012, 18:09 »
Some good work going on here mate.
Have you chose someone to do your flywheel yet?HotGolf on Clubgti is highly rated.

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #64 on: 21 August 2012, 18:52 »
Have you chose someone to do your flywheel yet?HotGolf on Clubgti is highly rated.

Indeed, Hotgolf did mine, abou £80 incl delivery to him att. Nice quick turnaround, and he keeps you up to date with progress the whole way. Highly recommended! :wink:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #65 on: 21 August 2012, 18:55 »
Did you have much removed from yours Sean?

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #66 on: 21 August 2012, 18:56 »

Indeed, Hotgolf did mine, abou £80 incl delivery to him att. Nice quick turnaround, and he keeps you up to date with progress the whole way. Highly recommended! :wink:

Cheers bud! There should be some good updates in the next couple of weeks :) I hadn't thought about it yet, but if he comes highly recommended then I'll check him out.

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #67 on: 21 August 2012, 18:58 »
Did you have much removed from yours Sean?

And how much would you guys recommend removing? Is there an ideal weight I should ask for?

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #68 on: 21 August 2012, 19:50 »
I had mine down to 6.9kilo on my old 16v and it made a good noticable distance, i was never more than a cars length off my mates vr until the (over 100) vr grunt come in!

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=134237.msg1207070#msg1207070
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #69 on: 21 August 2012, 20:37 »
I had mine down to 6.9kilo on my old 16v and it made a good noticable distance, i was never more than a cars length off my mates vr until the (over 100) vr grunt come in!

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=134237.msg1207070#msg1207070

Sounds good :) How much do standard flywheels weigh?