Author Topic: DanChave's Flash Red GTI 16V. Engine strip, clean and paint!  (Read 60327 times)

Offline DanChave

• I live here
Re: DanChave's Flash Red GTI 16V!
« Reply #50 on: 15 August 2012, 23:36 »
I'd keep it red and black personally!

Also, where can I acquire one of those battery bags.... :huh:

What would you do red and what would you do black? The battery bags are genuine items so The Dealership or TPS I guess :)

On a side note, I have bought a new splitter.......

Offline FlashRedThree

• GTI forum regular
  • MK III Flash Red 1.4 SE + MK V DBP 2.0T GTI
« Reply #51 on: 15 August 2012, 23:53 »
Black inlet manifold going over the engine with black VW badge, with 'DOHC 16V' and the VW badge depressed areas red to highlight them.
Red rocker cover, the black manifold partially covering it will tone it down and make it less 'in ya face', having 3 clean red strips peeping up at you between each inlet.
Obviously keep all black plastics black and treated...I wouldn't go too mad with the red or it'll be overpowering (bear in mind your entire bay is red).
I think that would look fresh and crisp.

You could also throw some polishing into the mix perhaps, though again, less is more! But I'm quite conservative when it comes to modding.
Thanks for the info on the bag, I'll keep my eye out.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2012, 09:03 by FlashRedThree »

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #52 on: 16 August 2012, 07:44 »
That does sound sweet! I'll have to have a real good think about it. All the bolts will be polished, but that's about it I reckon.

Offline DanChave

• I live here
Re: DanChave's Flash Red GTI 16V. Engine strip, clean and paint!
« Reply #53 on: 18 August 2012, 11:11 »
Yesterday I got a lot more of the engine bay stripped and the bolts bagged up ready to be sent off :)

I removed the front bumper, grill and the slam panel, removed the oil cooler and the oil filter housing, removed all the wiring etc from the drivers side chassis leg, cleaned and degreased everything on that side and then refitted it again :)

A few progress pics.

My parts storage unit!

My glorified engine stand lol. 

Driver side all cleaned up :)

As it stands as of yesterday!

Today I will get the sump, fly wheel bracket, power steering pump and the front engine mount/starter motor off and all the bolts bagged up and sent off :)

This morning I also picked up my VHT paint for the main block and the paint for the rocker cover, inlet gasket and ancillaries ;)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #54 on: 18 August 2012, 12:38 »
Looking clean there fella, damn you and you boys with later golfs where you can remove the front!

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #55 on: 18 August 2012, 16:53 »
Looking clean there fella, damn you and you boys with later golfs where you can remove the front!

Cheers bud :) I must say, it does make life a damn sight easier!

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #56 on: 20 August 2012, 08:59 »
So, on Saturday I got the rest of the engine components off and all the bolts bagged up and ready for posting today :) I also checked the oil feed in the sump, cleaned all the crap out of it and refitted it.

Whilst stripping everything down I noticed there was a hairline crack in my exhaust manifold :/ Luckily I found a second hand stainless 4-2-1 selling on EBay, and I'm glad to say that at 3am this morning I won it :) I also bought some heat wrap so I can do away with the heat shield, I bought enough to wrap the whole system so as I replace the sections with stainless, decat etc I will remove any heat shields and wrap those parts to! May not be for a while though, I have already spent twice as much as I wanted to lol!

Progress pics!

New Cam Belt and Tensioner fitted.

Genuine of course ;)

How it presently stands.

I am going to delete the carbon canister and pump and relocate the powersteering bottle as well.

My mission today is to get the exhaust manifold off, wish me luck lol!

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 20 August 2012, 09:05 »
Good luck with that mate! If you remove the downpipe at the bottom, you should be able to tilt the engine forward, and create a bit more space for yourself to take the mani off.  :smiley:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 20 August 2012, 10:36 »
Good luck with that mate! If you remove the downpipe at the bottom, you should be able to tilt the engine forward, and create a bit more space for yourself to take the mani off.  :smiley:

Cheers for the tip Sean! I wanna get it off now, but the engine is only on two engine mounts as it is lol! I'm gonna have to wait for a week or so until all my bolts arrive back :( Off to TPS in a minute to order the rest of the 'o' rings and gaskets I need :)

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #59 on: 20 August 2012, 21:02 »
Not long till the gearbox is off and that heavy metal disc has 5+kilo shaved off it.....

... that is what your doing right?  :tongue: :evil:
Dont lose your dinosaur!