Author Topic: DanChave's Flash Red GTI 16V. Engine strip, clean and paint!  (Read 60396 times)

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
Re: DanChave's Flash Red GTI 16V!
« Reply #40 on: 13 August 2012, 09:08 »
Why have you spent money on a mk3 when that E30 is looking so awesome! :cool:

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 13 August 2012, 13:45 »
Why have you spent money on a mk3 when that E30 is looking so awesome! :cool:

Because that E30 is a customer's/friends :)

Offline FlashRedThree

• GTI forum regular
  • MK III Flash Red 1.4 SE + MK V DBP 2.0T GTI
« Reply #42 on: 13 August 2012, 13:48 »
Excellent job on the E30! Currently helping my friend restore an alpine white 316 but the going is slow due to the golf's getting our attention.

Loving the sound of ITB's, in every sense  :evil:

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 13 August 2012, 17:54 »
Looked thru all the photos of that e30 on Facebook. Top work!
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 13 August 2012, 18:44 »
Excellent job on the E30! Currently helping my friend restore an alpine white 316 but the going is slow due to the golf's getting our attention.

Loving the sound of ITB's, in every sense  :evil:

Cheers man, I do love an e30, the cab was the 325i. The only thing letting it down in my eyes is its an auto, but that's personal preference I guess! Ahh, you picked up on that eh ;) it a dream at the moment, but I se no harm in doing things to make it more of a reality in the future :)

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #45 on: 13 August 2012, 18:45 »
Looked thru all the photos of that e30 on Facebook. Top work!

Cheers buddy, it means a lot :) a shed load of work went into that, and I can confirm it flew through the MOT earlier today :)

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 15 August 2012, 17:10 »
I started thinking about when I change the cam belt, tensioner and the alternator at the weekend and decided I should clean up and paint a few items along the way.

So yesterday I started removing stuff to begin cleaning, and I got a bit carried away :) I removed both inlet manifold sections and throttle body, removed the rocker cover, the air box and associated hoses, the PCV valve and the ISV and block connector bracket :) I then started giving everything a good clean before I headed up to Exeter TPS to pic up my new cam belt and tensioner. Whilst I was there I ordered up new inlet manifold gaskets, throttle body gasket spark lead separator clips and a new dipstick.

When I got back I chucked all the parts I had removed in the dishwasher cos my parents are away for the week ;) Didn't help overly though lol!

Some pics of my progress!

Hopefully the weather will be good tomorrow and I can drain the oil and coolant, strip off the heat shield and manifold brackets, remove the coolant housing and the sump :) Then all the fixings will be sent off to LMR to get matched up with polished counterparts!

The question then will be what colour to paint everything?!

Feel free to give suggestions or if anyone knows of anything that can be deleted, moved or modified to clean the 'bay up whilst I am at this stage, let me know.

Dan

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #47 on: 15 August 2012, 18:08 »
looking good!! i plan to do the same thing! im gunna get both the inlet manifold sections polished and then have the rover cover red
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 15 August 2012, 18:21 »
looking good!! i plan to do the same thing! im gunna get both the inlet manifold sections polished and then have the rover cover red

Cheers mate! I am toying with the idea of everything black apart from the head (just cleaned) with the manifold and sump either white or red.

OR

as before but rocker cover white as well as inlet and sump

OR

as before but rocker cover BBS gold, inlet, alternator and bracket and sump white...........................

Decisions decisions lol

Offline FlashRedThree

• GTI forum regular
  • MK III Flash Red 1.4 SE + MK V DBP 2.0T GTI
« Reply #49 on: 15 August 2012, 23:27 »
I'd keep it red and black personally!

Also, where can I acquire one of those battery bags.... :huh: