Author Topic: Mk 8 GTI dead before it's arrived?  (Read 9239 times)

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
Mk 8 GTI dead before it's arrived?
« on: 16 September 2020, 09:05 »
I have a 20 plate Mk 7.5 GTI PP DSG and have owned 6 Golfs (and loved all of them).  I will wait to see the Mk 8 GTI in the flesh and feel how far the driving dynamics have been moved on before drawing any conclusions, but the challenging looks and infamous physical buttons removal are not great omens.

Now with BMW announcing the launch of a seriously interesting (and better looking) direct competitor in the brand new 128ti will it mean the Mk 8 GTI is effectively dead before it starts in terms of sales?  I do wonder.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Mk 8 GTI dead before it's arrived?
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2020, 10:52 »
I have a 20 plate Mk 7.5 GTI PP DSG and have owned 6 Golfs (and loved all of them).  I will wait to see the Mk 8 GTI in the flesh and feel how far the driving dynamics have been moved on before drawing any conclusions, but the challenging looks and infamous physical buttons removal are not great omens.

Now with BMW announcing the launch of a seriously interesting (and better looking) direct competitor in the brand new 128ti will it mean the Mk 8 GTI is effectively dead before it starts in terms of sales?  I do wonder.

There’ll always be a core of existing loyal, die hard Golf GTI owners who’ll stay loyal to VW and buy the newer model.

However, based on some of the posts on the forum, some owners have seriously thought about jumping ship to BMW (one or two have done it), so if BMW are introducing a model that’ll be a more direct competitor to the mk8 GTI, there may be more defectors to the BMW brand.

You’ve mentioned the 1 series is better looking than the mk8. I agree with this, but looks are subjective and some will prefer the looks of the mk8 GTI over the 1 series. I certainly prefer the interior of the latest 1 series to the mk8 Golf’s interior - I think BMW seem to have got the balance of conventional controls, and touchscreens just about right - something VW sadly haven’t with the mk8 IMO.

Pricing and spec will be a major considerations though, so it’ll be interesting to see what the base price and spec is of the mk8 GTI, and what incentives VW offer to tempt potential buyers to get one.

EDIT; link to video on YouTube of the new BMW 128ti. Sounds very promising;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjndw5mGnII
« Last Edit: 16 September 2020, 11:12 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2020, 11:40 »
What's really interesting as touched on in the video is what they've done to the chassis - they've taken the M135i setup and made it worse.

They've taken away loads of stiffness from the chassis, so it's fun, it rotates, it doesn't have too much rear grip. Much like the French do with RS Clios and Meganes.

They've added what's essentially an anti-lift kit to give it more caster/dynamic camber, so the front is nailed down to ensure that mechanical diff works properly and the tyre doesn't roll onto its shoulders in corners rather than doing it with static camber.

So, lesson to all those loading up their cars with 50kgs of underbody bracing and rear strut scaffolding - you're making your car worse? Loose is fast.
'18 245PP DSG

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2020, 11:49 »
I've said for a long time, VW UK need the Mk8 GTI to have an effective spec and price point. If they don't, the competition will eat them, seriously eat them. VW had the whip hand with the Mk7, this time I'd argue they don't. Their only weapon is that its a Golf GTI, but that won't cut it unless the spec and price are competitive - base spec needs to be high, price needs to be low ball vs the rest- residuals need to be strong.

On the BMW 128TI, seriously attractive.

That is a very interesting video - I agree with Mike that they've done something really counter-intuitive but equally dialled back on the "on rails" thing of the M135i *deliberately*. That's an odd thing for BMW to admit to I think, but hats off to them for doing it.

Again though BMW need to make sure the 128TI finds the right price point - it can't be too close to the M135i. The spec needs to be close to the M135i and not close to the 118. If it doesn't come with sports body kit and sports seats as base, its going to not be a contender IMHO. Is that possible though? 95% of a M135i kit for 75-80% of the price?

If they can match the Mk8 GTI base spec for the same price, I think they will slay VW. If they can't get the price down...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2020, 11:58 »
They're suggesting the BMW will enter at £31-32k. Sadly no manual.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2020, 12:19 by mike roberts »
'18 245PP DSG

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2020, 12:22 »
They're suggesting the BMW will enter at £31-32k. Sadly no manual.

Price is interesting.... but they haven't shown the inside or talked about the spec....

No manual is curious, given the comments in that video about stuff being "mechanical and not electronics".... no DCC or electronic front diff.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2020, 12:27 »
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/first-drive-2021-bmw-1-series-128ti-prototype

So, the big question. Do you hold off from buying anything until you’ve test-driven the 128ti in November?

You’d be foolish not to, because the 128ti is potentially an excellent option. The main concern is that even on the nicely modest 18in wheels, ride quality on British roads might be too lively for most. We’ll have to wait and see. One other minor qualm is that the B48 engine suffers more from turbolag than I was expecting, given the tune is lighter than in the M135i, though it isn't conspicuously laggy compared to rivals.

The BMW is otherwise an impressive, if outwardly quite subtle, effort. It's seriously quick but neat and natural to guide along the road in a way even the old six-cylinder car wasn’t.

It’s also balanced, keener than the big-boned exterior suggests and the roll-rates and steering response are conspicuously well matched, which is lucky because this helps disguise the fact the 128ti is tubby compared to its rivals. (BMW, if you're reading this, please do consider building a 128ti 'Leichtbau'). Really throw it down an uneven road and it stays remarkably calm, but not aloof.

If BMW’s first proper hot hatch lacks anything, it’s that little bit of fizz – a defining attribute. The sensational driving position of the Civic Type R, the rabid agility of the Renault Mégane RS, the 2.3-litre engine in the Focus ST.

Equally, it might just be the least flawed of any of them, which counts for so much in the hot-hatch dogfight.

Too harsh? Thats interesting because I'd absolutely not say the M135i was harsh at all - I took that over the worst roads I know and it was calmer than my Mk7.5 - both cars on 18's with no DCC.

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2020, 13:04 »
M-Sport spec by the looks of it. They're not the M135i's buckets for sure.

'18 245PP DSG

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2020, 13:45 »
Yeah I saw that photo but given how they didn't let the Irish youtube dude show inside, I'd guess maybe the interior is under design still and might consist of just whatever for the prototype.

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2020, 15:32 »
Very true.

If anything, it'll be a kick in the arse - because you can guarantee they'll come with really aggressive discounts & PCP deals and even if you've no intention of buying one, it'll force VW into reacting.
'18 245PP DSG