Author Topic: 2 head units  (Read 1470 times)

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
2 head units
« on: 11 August 2008, 21:26 »
sounds strange i know but say i got a decent cd player and i want to put a cheap screen in there is it ok to wire them both up together if that makes sense or would i have to have some sort of switch between them for the speakers and amp
cheers

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
Re: 2 head units
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2008, 13:10 »
Have you actually bought these (or have them) or are you asking if you can do it?
Yes, you can do it - all the output will come from one source (ie the headunit) using the screen as a screen only, not an audible source.

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2008, 17:30 »
have both but the dvd is a head unit as well if that makes sense lol but dont think the sound quality will be as good as the headunit i got if that makes sense
so was hopin to run them side by side but only use 1 at a time
i guess i may as well just wire up the dvd player and see what it sounds like ??

Offline Ruji

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf GTi 8v (96) Anniversary Edition
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2008, 04:40 »
its possible. you would have to configure it in way where it wouldnt compromise the sound output to the speakers if you wanted both to run all of the speakers. otherwise you may have to run one head unit on say the front speakers and the other to the rear. Or to amp all your speakers may pose the solution also. However, trying to wire in 2 head units is not usually common practice and you would have to rewire or patch into the existing loom for a secondary power source! The only other solution would have been in the event of if your good sounding head unit was also a dvd player without a screen but has outputs to AV screens. therefore you could just power up the dvd screen head unit without speakers and use the dvd screen as nuthing but a screen input. You would have to have a double DIN dash console though! Not worth the trouble to be honest...see how you get on with just the dvd screen!?
Why pay big bucks when you can do it yourself???
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/rujiboy/WheelRefurbishmentProcess1.jpg
sig pic too large, see forum guidelines - admin

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2008, 12:42 »
cheers m8 well i got (dont laugh :laugh:) a halfords screen and tbh for the monet it aint half bad sound quality is not far of my kenwood hu so will just leave that init for now and then will probaly just upgrade to a better unit at a later date thats if i use it enough lol

Offline Ruji

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf GTi 8v (96) Anniversary Edition
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2008, 15:32 »
Well i wouldnt laugh, i work there..LOL
The independant screens arent that bad...and you have the back housing to mount it nicely into precisely cut holes. UNLESS of course your reffering to the ripspeed dvd motorised screen units. the DV710's and DV720's. Theyr ok and are sead to be built on the pioneer design, however the biggest drawback is the fact that there is nothing removeable for security despite being screwed into the cage...but unless the cage is put in securely, still risk of simple removal. you do get these plastic covers but they make em look bulky. other solutions are if the head unit is to be bolted into the car like a few jap cars wud have but most dubs dont offer that feature unless of course it was sumthing u decided you wanted to customise. otherwise, a good alarm on the car wouldnt go a miss!
Why pay big bucks when you can do it yourself???
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/rujiboy/WheelRefurbishmentProcess1.jpg
sig pic too large, see forum guidelines - admin

Offline AdamMk2

• I live here
  • Beautiful
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2008, 10:45 »
I havent read the whole thread cos Im in a bit of a rush, however, potentially couldnt you run the two Headunits in paralell then also get a dual Aux combining plug for the pre outs???

Sounds silly possible but Im sure it is definately feasable.

Monitor in where the elec window switches are in the console?  :wink: