Author Topic: 10" 12" what box and what is beter  (Read 1690 times)

Offline crazy_e

• GTI forum regular
10" 12" what box and what is beter
« on: 28 July 2010, 10:48 »
i have a jl audio 12" sub in custom box and a 10" in a custom box but at the mo i use the 12" but was thinking that you get diffrent tones out of the 2 diff subs as they are diff sizes correct?

what would happen if i was to put both in the boot would it make a diff or would it just get the ass and make both sound crap

or could you put both in a twin box or again would the get upset and cancel it out being diff sizes

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
Re: 10" 12" what box and what is beter
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2010, 17:14 »
Different subs will for sure produce a different sound.
Each size of sub (and, to a degree, each manufacturer) will have its own attributes.

For example, as a rule of thumb, the larger the cone the lower the sub will drop (lower notes).
So, certainly, your 12" will drop lower (and therefore produce deeper notes) than your 10"

The flip side is that the smaller cones (and again, this is rule of thumb) have a tighter control, hence will sound 'punchier'

What complicates issues slightly is levels of excursion (physical movement of the cone) - JL were always famous for a greater level of cone movement (forwards and backwards), which in turn allowed each woofer to produce a lower note than its chassis size would suggest, by physically moving more air than a comparable woofer of identical chassis size.

So, a JL 10" could, for example, drop as low as a Kenwood 12", but remain as punchy as a 10" simply by having a greater range of excursion.

Personally speaking, I've never dropped a 10" and 12" in the car at the same time.
I've run single tens in a sealed box, a ported box and even a bandpass box (that was shattering).
I've run two tens and two twelves, but my all time favourite set up was my dual voice coild single 10" JL sub, spanked by an Alpine V12 amp.

If your amp is 2 Ohm stable, hook them up and give them a whirl. You'll either like the two of them running together or not.

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline crazy_e

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2010, 08:57 »
well i put both in the car and i like it i do i seem to get the both of best worlds i think that somehow it is interfering with eachother but i do like the sound

what do you mean run the at 2ohm the amp i got running the 2 is a amp where you can chose if you would like

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2010, 09:14 »
How do you have the two running?
Have you wired them in series or in parallel?

Wiring them in parallel (possible if your amp is 2 Ohm stable) will allow the power output to rise because the the load (impedance) decreases and you'll get more power from the amplifier.

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

gti190

« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2010, 18:54 »

In my experience a boxed 12 will produce more noise than a 10, but the 10 usually sounds better.

If its SQ you want then a single sealed 10 will be fine and certainly big enough for the Golf.  If its SPL then fill the boot! 

If you amp is 2 ohm stable this will allow it to provide more power to the subs - your instruction manual will let you know, but be careful running two subs off one amp if it isn't- they can stop working!

AJ
gti190