Author Topic: "FAN"  (Read 1870 times)

Offline dubmad

• GTI forum regular
  • dubs all the way
"FAN"
« on: 26 April 2008, 23:21 »
hello there, can somone tell me at wat temp the fan should kick in at. as im off to blackpool monday and i'm not sure if my fan works. as its a long way from j36 on the m4 to blackpool. dont wont to cook her as she as only done about 500 miles since new head gasket.
http://

Offline Highmiler

• Just got here
Re: "FAN"
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2008, 23:51 »
mine kicks in at just over half way on the guage.

Offline dubmad

• GTI forum regular
  • dubs all the way
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2008, 23:55 »
   i take it mine aint workin as it hit 110 on the guage and faff all happend.
http://

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2008, 00:15 »
It should kick in just before half way, so the gauge never goes over half.

Best way to check is to take it for a ragg, then park up and leave it on, it wil soon get up to temp, and u will hear the fan.

kells

« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2008, 00:20 »
no way should it kick in so soon, mine does not kick in for ages, dont know exactly when but half way on the gauge is normal running temp so no fan!

mine sometimes kicks in when i shut the engine down for a few secs, if iv been on a long drive or in traffic

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2008, 00:22 »
Hmmmm well thats when mine kicks in? And its not got a problem..... Maybe im wrong.

kells

« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2008, 00:28 »
mine deffo does not kick in so early...deffo not, takes a good while for it to start :cool:

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2008, 00:30 »
tonight i just got in from town, been cruizin about and all that, never went over halfway and i was in 1st n 2nd all night, and parked up in a carpark runnin the engine for hours. So yeah, maybe i have it wrong, but it MUST kick in at halfway, as it never goes over that ,not even for a minute.

Offline Rmachines

• I live here
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2008, 12:38 »
It kicks in at arround 95 and 90 being half way means its just over half way on the guage.  SO... the engine should never run above 90+/-5  in theory.... of course thats not always the case...   If its running hotter its due to deterioration of the temp sender.   
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

Offline VW_08

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2008, 12:41 »
never heard my fan yet in the month ive owned the car, then again i havent left it sat with the engine warm.

And yes my gauge always goes to the middle while driving, as do most cars