Author Topic: DSG S Mode on the Mk 7.5.  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
DSG S Mode on the Mk 7.5.
« on: 19 July 2019, 20:06 »
I pretty much abandoned S mode for the DSG box in my 2014 MY GTI, because it held gears ridiculously long and seemed pointless. I’ve had my 2019 MY car since March and, until today, still hadn’t tried it on this car. What a revelation!
With this car S mode seems much more adjustable, with gears being held to more reasonable revs and dependant on throttle setting, as with drive mode. Not done much with it yet, as it took me by surprise, but are my initial impressions correct? Is S mode with the DSG box now a useable option?
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
Re: DSG S Mode on the Mk 7.5.
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2019, 16:29 »
Mine is a MY19 model and I still feel S mode is a little too aggressive, ie: as you stated, holds on to gears for too long, doesn't ever change up to 7th when coasting at 70 (it seems to prefer 6th which is annoying) and I find it really jerky when slowing down as it changes down to help reduce speed, which I don't like at all.

I tend to drive in Normal Auto mode most of the time.  I never use the flappy paddles, I find I have to turn the stereo off to hear the engine and the level of concentration required takes all the fun out of it.  Plus it accelerates so quickly you're effectively changing up every other second.

Going back to S mode, where it does come into it's own is when you're just about to overtake something and want some instant throttle with minimal turbo lag.  Drop it into S, boot past as if you've just sat on a wasp then drop it back into N before you burn a gallon of fuel.  It's also handy when approaching roundabouts to nip into to a gap really quickly, where I find N has just a tad of lag and sometimes you can miss the moment unless you're already rolling.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2019, 18:15 »
I use the flappy paddles for instant change down. After the event, the system reverts to D after a short time, or you can hold the up paddle to do it straight away.

I had another short run using S mode again today and I agree that it is still a little too aggressive. Much changed from my previous car, but only really suitable as hooligan mode, or on track. For everyday driving D is fine anyway - you can pretty much select up shifts, or down shifts, just using the throttle.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2019, 10:07 »
I find S is much better in the 7.5 P than it was in the 7.5 non-P I had (which was the older 6 speed).

In the new 7 speed one, it changes to 2nd quickly (the previous one held it for ages) and seems to adapt to your throttle quickly. Often have it in this if I'm on the right sort of road and then D round town. M is useful as well - just wish they'd put some decent paddles in, instead of it feeling like you are a pressing a button (which you are) but other manufacturers put some decent looking/sized paddles in their hot models (A45, M140 etc).
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey