Author Topic: 6 Years old.  (Read 5336 times)

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
Re: 6 Years old.
« Reply #10 on: 19 July 2019, 18:22 »
My car has another 3 months to go until it is 6 years old.

In the first year I needed a firmware update to fix freezes on NavPro, and there was a wobble at the first MOT when it failed due to a leaking High Pressure Fuel pump and a split gaiter on a driveshaft - both fixed under warranty.

I now annually lubricate the pano roof to prevent noises when it is closed...and that is it.

Although it is now very much a "fun/long drives only" car and is mainly garaged with 20k miles since new, this has been basically trouble free operation - what a car!

I did go electric last year when I bought a Nissan LEAF 40. No contest with the Golf for build quality, but I love the concept of electric drivetrains and have a VW ID.3 "booking" for one of the first 1500 cars in the UK so expect to replace the LEAF next year, although I have no plans to sell the Golf!

GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline Pixelmix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 20 July 2019, 07:58 »
My experience pretty much matches the OP, with the only additions being:
- Fault meant that internal fans stayed on when the engine was off sometimes (and didn't operate normally when driving), presumably a faulty sensor replaced under warranty after much head scratching; and
- Air conditioning condenser damaged by stone.

My wife drives this more than me so although now 5 years old, it still feels quite fresh to me. This is the longest we have kept a car and I'm inclined to keep it for another couple of years. Nothing else is grabbing my attention so I might wait for an Mk8 Edition 45 or similar. I wish we had a Clubsport 40 but none of the Mk7 or Mk7.5 models are enough of a change to merit the cost of changing for me.

How are people getting on with maintenance at this age? Are people generally pre-emptively doing the cambelt at 5 years?
« Last Edit: 20 July 2019, 10:26 by Pixelmix »

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 20 July 2019, 09:21 »
Echo the same experience as op here.  Coming up for 6 years too.  Over 100k on the GTD, a bit noisy when idling but still solid.  Have to change this year, timing for the new models isn’t good for me, going to have to go for something else.  It will be missed!
On Order: 02/05/13
GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice
Collected: 06/11/13

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 20 July 2019, 09:43 »
My experience pretty much matches the OP, with the only additions being:
- Fault meant that internal fans stayed on when the engine was off sometimes (and didn't operate normally when driving), presumably a fault sensor replaced under warranty after much head scratching; and
- Air conditioning condenser damaged by stone.

My wife drives this more than me so although now 5 years old, it still feels quite fresh to me. This is the longest we have kept the car and I'm inclined to keep it for another couple of years. Nothing else is grabbing my attention so I might wait for an Mk8 Edition 45 or similar. I wish we had a Clubsport 40 but none of the Mk7 or Mk7.5 models are enough of a change to merit the change for me.

How are people getting on with maintenance at this age? Are people generally pre-emptively doing the cambelt at 5 years?
I’m pretty sure GTi (7) is chain and has no set change interval. It is however supposed to be checked at inspection services for rattles etc.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 20 July 2019, 10:17 »
Great to hear that people are still satisfied after nearly 6 years. I’m 4 months into my 5th performance Golf and think I’ll keep it for a long time. It’s breathtakingly good as a car to live with every day. I also love the fact that other owners want to stop and talk to you. Had another R pull up whilst filling up yesterday morning and had a nice chat. Never happened in the S3 but happens all the time in the R.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Pixelmix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 20 July 2019, 10:25 »

I’m pretty sure GTi (7) is chain and has no set change interval. It is however supposed to be checked at inspection services for rattles etc.

I keep getting conflicting answers on this. Main dealer wants to change it, but other sources seem to suggest as above which sounds plausible. I suspect the dealer was thinking of the GTD.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 20 July 2019, 10:40 »
A genuine all rounder. Bats top six and frontline bowler. The Ben Stokes of hot hatchery.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 20 July 2019, 13:04 »

I keep getting conflicting answers on this. Main dealer wants to change it, but other sources seem to suggest as above which sounds plausible. I suspect the dealer was thinking of the GTD.

The above is what I got in writing from VW Ireland in relation to the chain.i.e no set interval.
My GTi is also approaching 6 years of age and has been the best car I’ve ever owned by a long shop. I did however suffer the thermostat housing failure resulting in the intake manifold having to come off but VW paid for half of that out of warranty as goodwill.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #18 on: 20 July 2019, 14:18 »
I don’t normally keep cars this long but at the moment I have no reason to change. There is nothing out there I would want, maybe the mk8 will be worth a look when it arrives.

The VW extended warranty is a good thing to have for peace of mind, not had to use it yet though.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 25 July 2019, 21:50 »
Seen this after replying on the recent water pump failure thread.

My car is 6yo and 28k

So far apart from its yearly service.

Front pads & discs
Water pump and housing
2 front shocks (DCC)
Dsg service