Author Topic: Light sensor  (Read 1308 times)

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
Light sensor
« on: 13 July 2019, 11:50 »
Hi guys,

I’ve notice my led headlights are on during the day in sunlight when I’m set to auto. Also the headlight washers come on when I spray the windscreen - which makes me thing the light sensor is faulty or dirty. Does anyone know where it’s located so I can check?  I have a mk7.5 GTI 67 plate.

Cheers

Offline agentutah

• Not said much yet
Re: Light sensor
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2019, 12:47 »
Have you tried changing the sensitivity of auto lights?

you can adjust the sensitivity of the twilight sensor to come on early, middle or late.

With the infotainment screen use the CAR button then select light ((4th line down) and you will see the switch on settings, Early, Medium, Late.      

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2019, 14:47 »
Whatever the setting though, the lights shouldn’t be on in bright sunlight. I believe this will use the sensor near the rear view mirror mount, on the windscreen. Is that all clean and clear?
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2019, 23:52 »
I’ve cleaned the windscreen where the rear view mirror is located Andy it seems to have done the trick - it didn’t look at all dirty to be fair but seems to have worked. I fiddled with the headlight switch too and a message popped up but didn’t read it all. It said something like ‘make sure the headlights are switched on....’. Would it warn me to turn lights on if it thought it was dark?

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2019, 09:09 »
I’ve cleaned the windscreen where the rear view mirror is located Andy it seems to have done the trick - it didn’t look at all dirty to be fair but seems to have worked. I fiddled with the headlight switch too and a message popped up but didn’t read it all. It said something like ‘make sure the headlights are switched on....’. Would it warn me to turn lights on if it thought it was dark?

Normally says that if you lights are on side lights or top O position and it thinks you should have your lights on. Ie if they were on Auto then they’d come on.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2019, 09:57 »
Yeah it warns you as Jim says.

I normally notice that after its been in the workshop and they have turned them from auto to off... I just leave them on auto all the time.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2019, 10:26 »
The auto lights use the dimming rear view mirror sensor as well as the one in the windscreen. If it thinks that you have bright sunlight behind you, it will turn the headlights on, which is good practice as it makes you more visible to traffic looking into the sun heading towards you.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.