Author Topic: Cobra Resonated Cat Back  (Read 4813 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Cobra Resonated Cat Back
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2019, 11:10 »
Just for the avoidance of doubt, I never said it couldn't be detected, simply I wanted something I could easily remove.

On paper Golf R stock is different power wise but I didn't think it was night and day as it would have if my car was stock.
Yeah it was the other comment not yours Shandy 👍. Some companies particularly one based up here in the North East have said the box they sell can't be detected which is utter nonsense. It's a shame abt don't do a refer a friend scheme. I've looked at them a couple of times but the price is just so off putting.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Shandy77

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2019, 23:53 »
To be fair, I did have to use complex man maths to justify it. :whistle:

I've cooled on the cobra, given the clamps seem to rust. Maybe scorpion after all. I just found the milltek resonated too subtle and over resonated - I guess because of the ec approval?

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 15 July 2019, 09:18 »
Just for the avoidance of doubt, I never said it couldn't be detected, simply I wanted something I could easily remove.

On paper Golf R stock is different power wise but I didn't think it was night and day as it would have if my car was stock.
Yeah it was the other comment not yours Shandy 👍. Some companies particularly one based up here in the North East have said the box they sell can't be detected which is utter nonsense. It's a shame abt don't do a refer a friend scheme. I've looked at them a couple of times but the price is just so off putting.

I'd love for you to shed light on how they can be detected. Are you talking about the car maybe logging overboost? Or holes in wires etc? Because I don't think the overboost logging is an issue as the ECU never sees the boosted values (I'm using a JB4 for reference) and a tiny hole in a wire is not really going to be spotted. Perhaps you'd like to let these tuners know where they're going wrong? If you're so knowledgeable, I mean :) 

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 15 July 2019, 10:18 »

I'd love for you to shed light on how they can be detected. Are you talking about the car maybe logging overboost? Or holes in wires etc? Because I don't think the overboost logging is an issue as the ECU never sees the boosted values (I'm using a JB4 for reference) and a tiny hole in a wire is not really going to be spotted. Perhaps you'd like to let these tuners know where they're going wrong? If you're so knowledgeable, I mean :)

Have a read of this:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=280858.0
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 15 July 2019, 12:09 »

I've cooled on the cobra, given the clamps seem to rust. Maybe scorpion after all. I just found the milltek resonated too subtle and over resonated - I guess because of the ec approval?

What about Remus, think their systems are popular on the GTI.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 15 July 2019, 15:28 »

Have a read of this:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=280858.0

Yes, as I suspected, the mystical "TB1" flag.

Show me anyone who has had a warranty claim denied for this flag.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 15 July 2019, 18:04 »
It's not mystical at all and if you Google it plenty of people have had warranty refused. Anything you change is detectable if you know where to look but that's IF you know where to look. It's the fact some companies and people say it can't be detected when it actually can.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 15 July 2019, 19:45 »
It's not mystical at all and if you Google it plenty of people have had warranty refused. Anything you change is detectable if you know where to look but that's IF you know where to look. It's the fact some companies and people say it can't be detected when it actually can.

I also suspect that since Dieselgate, VAG have looked at all areas of the business to see where cost savings can be achieved, and warranty claims will be one such area.

And judging by what I’ve read on various VW forums. VW do seem to be doing more checks now than they used to prior to warranty claims being authorised. With wheels that had succumbed to white worm, the dealer used to just take a photo of the defective wheel to submit for the warranty claim to be authorised. They now measure the thickness of the paint / powdercoat / lacquer to check for signs of refurbishment.

So I’d be surprised if VW don’t also now carry out more thorough checks with powertrain warranty claims for evidence of a tuning box having been fitted to a car, as well as checking to see if a car has been mapped.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 16 July 2019, 09:11 »

Please stop saying they're detectable and actually link some proof. I'm genuinely interested.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 16 July 2019, 17:37 »

Please stop saying they're detectable and actually link some proof. I'm genuinely interested.
Please stop saying they aren't! The box I had on my gtd caused over boost issues and these were logged and seen with vcds. Any car that goes into limp mode from a box will also have it logged.