Author Topic: Cobra Resonated Cat Back  (Read 4810 times)

Offline Shandy77

• Not said much yet
Cobra Resonated Cat Back
« on: 11 July 2019, 14:38 »
I'm about to pull the trigger on a cat back resonated system for my 2017 Golf GTi (pp) which also has the ABT engine control module.

Does anybody have any experience with this system? I've had Milltek and Scorpion on previous cars so want to try something new. I'm too old for non-res.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Cobra Resonated Cat Back
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2019, 16:28 »
Absolutely no experience of the exhaust system from me but I’d be very interested to know your thoughts on the Abt module, cost of it etc.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2019, 18:14 »
I had a Cobra Sport cat back on my previous car - Astra H VXR. To be honest I wasn't that impressed with it.

It did sound good and fitted pretty well but the quality of the stainless was very poor - the boxes and welds all had masses of corrosion on them and in the end (despite fairly regular polishing) I had to scotchbrite the tailpipe and sprayed it satin black (which actually looked quite good on that car lol) but I wouldn't have another exhaust from them.

Went for a Milltek cat back on the Golf and the difference in quality is like night and day. So much better than the Cobra Sport I had before on the Astra. The extra  money is definitely worth it.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Shandy77

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2019, 07:46 »
Absolutely no experience of the exhaust system from me but I’d be very interested to know your thoughts on the Abt module, cost of it etc.

The ABT module was expensive compared to a regular remap but I wanted something that was easily reversible and kept the existing ECU untouched. I've had the ABT module installed since around 5,000 miles and it's just ticked over 22,000 with zero issues. I just didn't fancy race chip and I really liked the idea of having an ABT Golf GTi. 

It really does make a difference, you can feel the extra torque low down and if you rev it out it keep pulling very hard. If you have ever driven an R - that's the feeling of power the ABT module gives the Golf GTi. If you are in the market for a piggy back system then I can't recommend the ABT module highly enough.   

I had it installed at Richter motorsport in Milton Keynes, zero install issues. I'm going to get my car on a rolling road soon to see if the claimed figures are actually true - it certainly feels as quick as an R on the move (smaller turbo in the GTi but less weight might even it out)

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2019, 09:39 »
I really liked the idea of having an ABT Golf GTi. 

Ah, marketing  :rolleyes:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2019, 16:14 »
Just be aware that even the plug in boxes are detectable by VW.... provided you are happy with what that *could* mean at some point, bash on.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2019, 20:59 »
Just be aware that even the plug in boxes are detectable by VW.... provided you are happy with what that *could* mean at some point, bash on.

If you quote that "official" document, you'll probably hear my eye roll

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2019, 05:53 »

The ABT module was expensive compared to a regular remap but I wanted something that was easily reversible and kept the existing ECU untouched. I've had the ABT module installed since around 5,000 miles and it's just ticked over 22,000 with zero issues. I just didn't fancy race chip and I really liked the idea of having an ABT Golf GTi. 

It really does make a difference, you can feel the extra torque low down and if you rev it out it keep pulling very hard. If you have ever driven an R - that's the feeling of power the ABT module gives the Golf GTi. If you are in the market for a piggy back system then I can't recommend the ABT module highly enough.   

I had it installed at Richter motorsport in Milton Keynes, zero install issues. I'm going to get my car on a rolling road soon to see if the claimed figures are actually true - it certainly feels as quick as an R on the move (smaller turbo in the GTi but less weight might even it out)

Thanks for writing your thoughts and impressions out in such a detailed way.
Very interesting reading.
Having owned an R (both modified and standard) for 18 months and a couple years in a CS Ed40 as well as a standard and modified PP GTI I have a tiny bit of experience with the engines and power deliveries. I’d perhaps disagree the Abt GTI would feel like an R as the modified GTI has loads more torque than an R plus runs out of boost much lower in the range.
I get what you’re saying though, it gives R like power levels and similar sporty eagerness but at much more accessible revs making for fast and easy progress without having to work the engine too hard.

What I really like about the Abt module is it’s easy plug in integration (on a DSG car, the manual is the opposite).
What I really dislike is the price!

What drew you to the Cobra exhaust amongst the others on the market?
Did you not like the previous Milltek?

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2019, 08:34 »

If you quote that "official" document, you'll probably hear my eye roll
what Fred has said is totally accurate. Boxes can be detected.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Shandy77

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2019, 08:56 »
Just for the avoidance of doubt, I never said it couldn't be detected, simply I wanted something I could easily remove.

On paper Golf R stock is different power wise but I didn't think it was night and day as it would have if my car was stock.